FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Time to refuel for more boost?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Time to refuel for more boost?

Seems i am at a fulcrum point with my truck now. I cant really do anything else without upgrading the fuel system. I have been very leary of doing anything so far because there is really nothing above 42lb'ers that are plug-n-play. And there is still no high volume "drop-in" fuel pump for our fuel baskets. So here I am trying to decide what I should do........throw some 60's in there and try my hand with an in-line pump, throw some 60's in there and hack my fuel basket up to make it fit, or stick the larger pulley back on and enjoy what i have.

Couple questions....
-do they make any 60lb'ers that are plug-n-play yet? If not, whats the easiest way to make that swap? Harnesses?

-Is an in-line pump a better option than an intank one? Whats required to install the inline pump? Do i need special switches to engage the pump under boost only, or can it run all the time?

-Are 60's hard to tune? Whats the best 60lb injector for my application?

Some still dont believe how far i have pushed this truck on a "stock" fuel pump but its true and I am a little hesitant to do anything thats not made to fit. I still use this truck for camping and road trips and i dont want to sacrifice reliability for performance. I have never had any reliability issues what so ever to this point and want to keep it that way. I would rather have a mid-13's reliable truck than a high-12's/low-13's truck that i have to worry about when i drive a few hundred miles from home.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Seems i am at a fulcrum point with my truck now. I cant really do anything else without upgrading the fuel system. I have been very leary of doing anything so far because there is really nothing above 42lb'ers that are plug-n-play. And there is still no high volume "drop-in" fuel pump for our fuel baskets. So here I am trying to decide what I should do........throw some 60's in there and try my hand with an in-line pump, throw some 60's in there and hack my fuel basket up to make it fit, or stick the larger pulley back on and enjoy what i have.

Couple questions....
-do they make any 60lb'ers that are plug-n-play yet? If not, whats the easiest way to make that swap? Harnesses?

-Is an in-line pump a better option than an intank one? Whats required to install the inline pump? Do i need special switches to engage the pump under boost only, or can it run all the time?

-Are 60's hard to tune? Whats the best 60lb injector for my application?

Some still dont believe how far i have pushed this truck on a "stock" fuel pump but its true and I am a little hesitant to do anything thats not made to fit. I still use this truck for camping and road trips and i dont want to sacrifice reliability for performance. I have never had any reliability issues what so ever to this point and want to keep it that way. I would rather have a mid-13's reliable truck than a high-12's/low-13's truck that i have to worry about when i drive a few hundred miles from home.
Wha type of injector plug do you have? ev1(old style)ev6(new style)or delphi(odd ball)there are a few connector conversions out there these days,so far the best ones are the newest offered by ford racing,go to there web they have em pictured,no splicing no hacking....
60lb injectors can be tuned easily,the inline pump I believe is a band aid(or quik fix)IMO,an intanke pump is better IMO.
The fuel delivery system is what will fail you before these A/M pumps will Also IMO.
I have been working on an alternative fuel pump system similiar to an old buick turbo gn intank twin set up(dual walbro's) relayed and set with a hobbs switch to energize the second pump At a set boost.But that has had some issues,still working on it though,My truck will likely be the test mule,again I think the fuel lines are going to be the weak link.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

I have an in-line pump advertised as being 1000 HP capable. With a stock pump in the tank, I was running out of fuel at higher Rs. I got a Walbro 255 l/hr kit from Texas Speed. I did not have to butcher the bucket. Be warned the instructions don't apply to trucks, and the adapter harness that comes with it is only good for cutting and splicing the pump-end plug into the stock harness. But appears that it'll be a long time before I run out of fuel again.
I added a relay for the in-line, tying the coil wire into the stock pump's relay coil wire.
As far as I know, only the IFR needed to be changed for the 60 lb'ers.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

If you have a return fuel system then the 60's should be easy to tune. If you are like me and numerous others with a returnless fuel system then they are not quite as simple.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Im thinking about these...

racetronix L107FM

anyone have a link to the harness adapters?

Whats the best intank pump to go with....looking for reliability here and I am not opposed to spending a little more. I have heard mixed results about the Walbro 255. I am going to search for an intank pump replacement thread, if anyone knows of a specific one, please post up.

Last edited by thunder550; 02-26-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have return? Hmmm. If you are return, the inline is a bandaid with smaller inj'ers. But IMO is fine if you have the 60#'ers at your HP/weight level. I say if you are gonna do the fuel, do it right with injectors and an high flow pump, albeit intank or inline. The ultimate is like mentioned above, dual 255's intank. But you might as well build your own setup though. I have the 60's, inline, and I put a 255 in my tank (chopped up my basket a little) and I haven't logged my IDC's since.

the 60's aren't too bad to tune, you have a lot more cubes than the rest of us, yours should be easy to tune. An IFR change only maybe.

Last edited by dewmanshu; 02-26-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
12 Second Truck Club

fordracing.com download pdf file type catalog page 136.part#m-14464-a8 fits jetronic style harness to uscar type injectors.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
you have return? Hmmm. If you are return, the inline is a bandaid with smaller inj'ers. But IMO is fine if you have the 60#'ers at your HP/weight level. I say if you are gonna do the fuel, do it right with injectors and an high flow pump, albeit intank or inline. The ultimate is like mentioned above, dual 255's intank. But you might as well build your own setup though. I have the 60's, inline, and I put a 255 in my tank (chopped up my basket a little) and I haven't logged my IDC's since.

the 60's aren't too bad to tune, you have a lot more cubes than the rest of us, yours should be easy to tune. An IFR change only maybe.
Yes, i got the return style system. I think Im going to go with an inline and the stock intank pump. Thanks for the link SuperSub.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful with that inline/stock in-tank setup. I burned up two inline pumps in two years because the stock in-tank pump couldn't supply fuel fast enough to the inline. I personally would bite the bullet and do the in-tank pump.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunder550
Be careful with that inline/stock in-tank setup. I burned up two inline pumps in two years because the stock in-tank pump couldn't supply fuel fast enough to the inline. I personally would bite the bullet and do the in-tank pump.
I hear ya...I just dont wanna rip up my fuel bucket. I have also heard that the intank pumps dont fit right in, they need to be modified and you need to always keep a 1/4 tank of gas in it or you will have problems. Why the frick cant someone just develop a OEM style high volume pump for our trucks? Whats so damn hard about that?!?

Quick Reply: Time to refuel for more boost?