FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

STS Pro's and Con's

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Pro's and Con's

I would just like some input on the STS turbo. I have the GT67, 44lb injectors, Walbro in take fuel pump, Nelson tune. I ran mine up to 12lbs of boost and broke the ring lands on 6 pistons. I just got my motor back and add diamond forged pistons and had everything balanced. So any good and bad info would be apreciated. Thanks guys. I added some pics of truck so you can check it out.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:48 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, I can tell you this....does not look like you will have a problem with sucking up water.

Nice truck!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

problem is STS guys stop posting and dont give us all the info, or maybe that is it, there is no news?? People dont know about the problems or benefits b/c STS guys seem to stop posting after they turn their boost up and break something. Let us know how she runs w/the forged internals and higher boost and your new tune and the IC you should add to run that much boost. you might need both IC and meth??
this is the difference between the STS and radix, radix gets insalled and guys love it cause they are out driving in 12 hours, the STS on the other had is usually incomplete and there is no SOTP driving time to get people excited about the STS kit working...
Old 01-01-2006, 09:44 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still post
Pros...
Cheap and easy install, Allen can mail order a STS tune better than anyone, but still not as good as a dyno tune.
Under hood temps are not that much hotter than stock.
With the turbo so far back and colder you can stretch the no towing with turbo rule.
Engine bay looks fairly stock.
Cons...
Air filter under truck. Yester day I had to cross a flooded road to get to work, I did not see the water until it was spraying over the hood. I thought it was the end of the turbo and eng, made it a crossed fine, pulled the air filter it was dry, I also had the sock on the filter. The only time I see the filter sock becoming wet enough to worry about is when water runs between the cab and the bed, but that is only on an ext cab. Now STS gives you an air filter relocate kit.
With the turbo so far back it is also hard to run dual exhaust after the turbo. I just dump mine after the axle.
There is a lot of intake air tubing clamps to check.

Plus I feel the STS is the under dog, most everyone that does not own a kit thinks they are junk or do not perform as well as they should.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is off topic, but how loud is your exhaust with just a turn donw, I have a flomaster on my truck and its getting pretty old.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:24 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoChrome
I know this is off topic, but how loud is your exhaust with just a turn donw, I have a flomaster on my truck and its getting pretty old.
Are you asking me???

My truck with no cats is VERY loud, my wife hates it lol.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:15 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Wilde Racing

Plus I feel the STS is the under dog, most everyone that does not own a kit thinks they are junk or do not perform as well as they should.[/QUOTE]
i agree 100% sts is like the new kid at school, you might make make cracks about him till one day you get to know him , sts changed the rules for the better, that does not suggest it is superior to other power adders, just one more choice to have fun with and keep the market competitive and that means better products for us, the consumers, mt 2 cents again!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 8,000 miles on mine -- all pro's and no con's. Super fun.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I still post
Pros...

Cons...
Air filter under truck. Yester day I had to cross a flooded road to get to work, I did not see the water until it was spraying over the hood. I thought it was the end of the turbo and eng, made it a crossed fine, pulled the air filter it was dry, I also had the sock on the filter. The only time I see the filter sock becoming wet enough to worry about is when water runs between the cab and the bed, but that is only on an ext cab.
The jury was still out for me on the STS setup, but after thinking about your post I think getting an STS would be a mistake for me. Why did I buy a 4x4 truck/SUV? To be able to tow and to go places cars can't. Deep snow, mud, brush, etc., back a boat into water, cross a stream to go shooting, it would be hard to do that again without a lot of worry. Underhood heat is a problem with a turbo, but I think the STS solution creates more problems.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:23 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just get a snorkel kit , that will stop any worrie about water and use the filter sock , check out the sts web site and watch the tacoma go through the mud and water, i take my z 71 any where i want with no problem since i got the snorkel kit. i never drive through 2-3ft high standing water, that would be the only thing i wouldnt do with the turbo (even with out it cause waters hard on yor axles and u joints).

Quick Reply: STS Pro's and Con's