FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Someone enlighten me on the ways of turbo sizing

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Someone enlighten me on the ways of turbo sizing

I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to turbos I don't have a clue about all this a/r, t-? flange, ?-trim wheel, inducer, exducer, etc. mumbo jumbo. However I would like to learn.

Now before anyone freaks out, I'm not going turbo. I just want to learn.

A/R: I've heard this is a pressure differential measurement and affects how the fast or slow the turbo spools. What physical dimensions actually change when the a/r is changed. For example, I have a .96 a/r and want a 1.10. What would I do? Also, what does the change in a/r up or down do?

Flange: What is the difference between a t-4, t-6 or any other flange available? Which is better? Can you merge both exhaust pipes at the flange on any flange configuration?

Wheel Trim: WTF? Are we talking about the exhaust wheel? Can you change exhaust wheels for any given turbo without changing the housing? How do you know what trim to get?

Inducer/Exducer: I know turbos are sized by the inducer diameter. Right? Can someone take a picture of a compressor wheel and explain the difference between the inducer and the exducer and where the measurements are taken. How can you have an 88mm turbo that is bigger than another 88mm turbo??? Is that even a legitimate question?

I'm sure there are other questions to ask, however I don't know enough about it to actually know the questions. I've done some searching on here, ls1tech and the www, but am not sure what to believe and what is bull ****.

Somebody buy my Procharger.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Old 05-14-2010, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blown06
I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to turbos I don't have a clue about all this a/r, t-? flange, ?-trim wheel, inducer, exducer, etc. mumbo jumbo. However I would like to learn.

Now before anyone freaks out, I'm not going turbo. I just want to learn.

A/R: I've heard this is a pressure differential measurement and affects how the fast or slow the turbo spools. What physical dimensions actually change when the a/r is changed. For example, I have a .96 a/r and want a 1.10. What would I do? Also, what does the change in a/r up or down do?

Flange: What is the difference between a t-4, t-6 or any other flange available? Which is better? Can you merge both exhaust pipes at the flange on any flange configuration?

Wheel Trim: WTF? Are we talking about the exhaust wheel? Can you change exhaust wheels for any given turbo without changing the housing? How do you know what trim to get?

Inducer/Exducer: I know turbos are sized by the inducer diameter. Right? Can someone take a picture of a compressor wheel and explain the difference between the inducer and the exducer and where the measurements are taken. How can you have an 88mm turbo that is bigger than another 88mm turbo??? Is that even a legitimate question?

I'm sure there are other questions to ask, however I don't know enough about it to actually know the questions. I've done some searching on here, ls1tech and the www, but am not sure what to believe and what is bull ****.

Somebody buy my Procharger.
x2 good questions
Old 05-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to supraforums and do a search, some of the best technical turbo talk ever can be found in that place.

for the record, i had typed about 4 paragraphs, but realized it was going to be a lengthy read.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Required reading...

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech101.html

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech103.html

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...imization.html

Rick
Old 05-14-2010, 05:50 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Lots of good info, thanks. I wonder how many people actually do all of the calculations and research before selecting a turbo, though?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Junkie

link

Heres some other good stuff
Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

Something ive always wondered, why dont domestic truck diesels have wastegates?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Atomic
Something ive always wondered, why dont domestic truck diesels have wastegates?
I would imagine that they have too. I've data logged several diesels and boost peaks long before the rpms stop climbing. So something is stopping the turbo from making more boost. Maybe its integrated into the turbine housing???
Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

They actually control the vanes of the turbo, the pitch. Pretty cool stuff, as well as some of the older ones i believe had wastegates integrated into the exhaust sides.

Quick Reply: Someone enlighten me on the ways of turbo sizing