FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

SC Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 07:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default SC Water Pump

I have a Whipple Side Mount SC. What water pump do I need to fit this application? Is it the factory one with some modification?

What about a belt P/N or length?

Looks like the oil fill tube valve cover will be moving to the Driver Side, can I still reach the dipstick? How much mod do I have to do there, if any?

The SC is at Jon Bon Performance getting a complete overhaul with porting and coating of key components. I'm trying to get ready for a weekend install and dyno tune before I get it back.

Thanks

Chad
Old 05-14-2016, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock with the neck trimmed down. Whipple included a 90* fitting to splice in to snake through that area

Measure and order accordingly

Flip the L/R valve covers. Dipstick stays but gets a slight bend up to clear. Its super close to the throttle linkage for DBC engines

Do yourself a favor and seal off the two front whipple injector holes and upgrade the main injectors to 42/60lb's. Any of the whipple electronics should go in the trash. A proper tune will do much better

Its a neat SC kit, very underrated. Recently did a conversion with one. 340/380 on a totally stock 5.3, blower was the only mod
Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Pocket, thanks for the info!

I bought the Whipple from a guy and didn't get any extra stuff from him. It is going on a stroked 383 with an Edlebrock Vic Jr with an Edlebrock elbow. I can fit a radiator hose in it with some Mod, no worries there and thanks for the suggestion. L/R Cover swap-gotcha! Bending the dip stick, will do! I am sending the unit back to Jon Bon for an fresh overhaul and any porting or coating that will help the unit put.

What two front injector holes are you referring too? I will be running 60lb injectors and getting a full dyno tune to work out any kinks.

Thanks for the additional info, that helps me out tremendously!

Chad
Old 05-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Whipple side mount on my truck for years, bought the kit new in 2002. Like said earlier, the water pump had a little billet piece that replaced the neck on the top of the pump, then there was a rubber 90* piece that was coupled to the stock upper hose. The upper then came around behind the alternator and attached to the pump. Whipple may still have the part, but they are proud of it, I am sure.

The injector holes that Pocket referenced are on the piece that bolts to the front of the intake. There are normally 2 injectors there that fogged extra fuel into the intake stream when the Whipple-tronics commanded it. I removed my extra injectors and Whipple-tronics early on and moved my IAT to one of the holes, plugged the other.

With Meth and the smaller pulley I was making 12psi on a 5.3 with heads, cam and long tubes. It made around 425 rwhp at it's best tune. Stock the motor made 205 rwhp. Mine is a 2000 ECSB Z71 so it suffers from a good bit of driveline loss. When you start getting the smaller pullies, belt slip becomes a problem as well as heat generation.

I had the Whipple on my truck for 8 years in various states of tune. They work well considered that they are not intercooled. My .02.