FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

?'s about STS on my 8.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ender06
how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$????
I think around 400 somewhere. But not sure. I think there is 2 diff ones but only one fit.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silver_TransAm
I think around 400 somewhere. But not sure. I think there is 2 diff ones but only one fit.
Well thats not as bad as I thought, but still UP there. I'm on a limited budget right now.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah ballin on a budget is hard. Ask me how I know.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

So what about the tranny? I know it is an Allison, but I know in the Duramax, you're supposed to upgrade a little with more power. Should I get a shift kit or what?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ender06
So what about the tranny? I know it is an Allison, but I know in the Duramax, you're supposed to upgrade a little with more power. Should I get a shift kit or what?
The tranny should be fine, it is strong piece and odds are you are not going to be punching it everywhere you go everyday. The diesel guys break them because they are making twice as much torque. 600tq vs 1200tq on a modded diesel. U can go with the kit for piece of mind though.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the 60#'ers in my setup. I maxed the 42's out real quick...dont waste your time with those if your boosting past 4-5psi. Just to give some perspective, this is my setup:

496c.i. (obviously)
Allison 5spd (no mods)
60lb injectors
Stock pump
Corsa touring exhaust
stock fuel pump
417rwhp
511rwtq

Today i saw my IDC's hit 70% on the 60lb injectors @ only 6psi. My EFI log shows a lean trend in boost. No matter how much i add fuel to the VE table it still stays a little lean. I am coming to the conclusion that i need to upgrade the pump in the tank now to get back to a safer AFR. It will most likely increase the IDC a few percent when I do this as well. If it were me, and you plan to go beyond 7psi with your setup....I might consider a fuel pump upgrade and even a bigger injector than the 60's. Just my opinion though......they say after 80% IDC, you should be looking to upgrade. I drove my 42lb'ers well over 100% for almost 2 years. Its your call. What year is your truck? Do you have a return or a returnless fuel system?

On a side note, when you upgrade the injectors....do a search for my injector thread. It was an interesting upgrade to say the least...the fuel rails on the 8.1L are nothing like the small block fuel rails. You could lift the engine out of the engine bay by straping on to those suckers....seriously!

Last edited by Whippled 496; 11-16-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
What year is your truck? Do you have a return or a returnless fuel system?

On a side note, when you upgrade the injectors....do a search for my injector thread. It was an interesting upgrade to say the least...the fuel rails on the 8.1L are nothing like the small block fuel rails. You could lift the engine out of the engine bay by straping on to those suckers....seriously!
Mine is an 02 2500 HD. I don't know about the fuel system, how would I tell???
And why are the rails like this? Should I take it to a profesional to get them done?
Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the return style (thats good) on your setup if its a 2002. No professional needed.....just a vise, some wood scraps, and a little arm strength is all thats needed.

Check out the thread......start at post #96

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...=412549&page=3
Old 11-16-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Awsome thread. So why exactly did you have to bend the rail in the vise? And, what is the difference in the retun and retunless style?
Old 11-16-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
I am running the 60#'ers in my setup. I maxed the 42's out real quick...dont waste your time with those if your boosting past 4-5psi. Just to give some perspective, this is my setup:

496c.i. (obviously)
Allison 5spd (no mods)
60lb injectors
Stock pump
Corsa touring exhaust
stock fuel pump
417rwhp
511rwtq

Today i saw my IDC's hit 70% on the 60lb injectors @ only 6psi. My EFI log shows a lean trend in boost. No matter how much i add fuel to the VE table it still stays a little lean. I am coming to the conclusion that i need to upgrade the pump in the tank now to get back to a safer AFR. It will most likely increase the IDC a few percent when I do this as well. If it were me, and you plan to go beyond 7psi with your setup....I might consider a fuel pump upgrade and even a bigger injector than the 60's. Just my opinion though......they say after 80% IDC, you should be looking to upgrade. I drove my 42lb'ers well over 100% for almost 2 years. Its your call. What year is your truck? Do you have a return or a returnless fuel system?

Really? Most IDC I've seen on my truck was 60% at 9psi. Not sure what it is now that I have it tuned for 12psi. I have twin 255 pumps but I'm only running one. Fuel presser drops to 52psi int he higher RPM's.
We had a problem with my truck showing lean on top too. My buddy found an table that was limiting max fuel.

Quick Reply: ?'s about STS on my 8.1