FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Result on my Turbo 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic
Its not drastically harder to tune, but it is mechanically more complicated and more difficult to achieve a good level of reliability and towing performance. The underhood heat is not trivial, it is very significant.

Sounds like you have your mind made up though, good luck!
Do you mean more complicated from a plumbing aspect? Please elaborate. I want to learn, but need more explanation.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:38 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

From just about every perspective. A blower is extremely simple by comparison, it is basically an intake manifold swap with a longer belt and you are done. With an intercooled turbo system you have additional plumbing from cold side from the compressor to the intercooler and back to the intake, and plumbing from the exhaust to the turbine then out of the engine bay. EVERYTHING will have to be routed clear of the hot exhaust or else you will have issues with stuff melting, and may anyway from simple proximity. Wraps and coatings help, but picture your engine bay as a massive oven and you get the idea. Most drag races are 10-12 seconds at most, but pulling a load up a hill you are talking minutes on end at elevated temperatures. By elevated I mean EGTs are easily 500F hotter than with an equivalent supercharged setup.

A rear mount turbo would be better in this regard, but then you have to worry about oil return pumps (which always have problems it seems), additional length of piping, and I hope you dont mind waiting a week for the turbo to get going or maxing out very quickly.

And before you say "diesels pull all day with a turbo" or "the ford ecoboost is turbod", yea, those are true, but both systems are factory designed by a team of engineers with millions of dollars in R&D to make sure everything is good. This is not comparable to a turbo retrofit for a system that was not designed for it.

If you want good reading on the subject, I recommend this book:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-22-2018, 03:48 PM
I have a gauge for that

I am not saying it can't be done nor am I saying guys haven't done it successfully. I am just saying I don't recommend it because of the amount of work you have to put into it compared to a simpler supercharger setup for the stated goals.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Teching In

And please know I don't want to debate the wisdom of using a turbo. But when these generalities are thrown out (not recent posts) about turbo assumptions, I just need to ask about where the info comes from. If everyone took things at stated value, we would all be driving the same vehicles. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Teching In

I am not saying it can't be done nor am I saying guys haven't done it successfully. I am just saying I don't recommend it because of the amount of work you have to put into it compared to a simpler supercharger setup for the stated goals.
I completely get that and that's valid for sure.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Teching In

From just about every perspective. A blower is extremely simple by comparison, it is basically an intake manifold swap with a longer belt and you are done. With an intercooled turbo system you have additional plumbing from cold side from the compressor to the intercooler and back to the intake, and plumbing from the exhaust to the turbine then out of the engine bay. EVERYTHING will have to be routed clear of the hot exhaust or else you will have issues with stuff melting, and may anyway from simple proximity. Wraps and coatings help, but picture your engine bay as a massive oven and you get the idea. Most drag races are 10-12 seconds at most, but pulling a load up a hill you are talking minutes on end at elevated temperatures. By elevated I mean EGTs are easily 500F hotter than with an equivalent supercharged setup.

A rear mount turbo would be better in this regard, but then you have to worry about oil return pumps (which always have problems it seems), additional length of piping, and I hope you dont mind waiting a week for the turbo to get going or maxing out very quickly.

And before you say "diesels pull all day with a turbo" or "the ford ecoboost is turbod", yea, those are true, but both systems are factory designed by a team of engineers with millions of dollars in R&D to make sure everything is good. This is not comparable to a turbo retrofit for a system that was not designed for it.

If you want good reading on the subject, I recommend this book: https://www.amazon.com/Turbocharging-Performance-Handbook-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760328056/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1529700029&sr=8-6&keywords=turbocharger+book
Have it. Read it. Good book. He mentions that "Heat is horsepower. Horsepower is heat. Turbo engines make a lot of horsepower."
Wouldn't a supercharger setup generally have an intercooler to plumb?
Why the hotter egt's with turbo over supercharger? Where does the heat come from?

Last edited by Bucky; 06-22-2018 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:05 PM
I have a gauge for that

Glad you enjoyed the book. He is specifically talking about heat inside the combustion chamber. We are mainly talking about radiant heat from the exhaust and turbine parts.

Supercharger would have an an intercooler and heat exchanger, but 3/4" rubber hoses are much easier to deal with than turbo pipes.

In a supercharger the crankshaft is powering the compressor, in a turbo it is the exhaust gas. The energy that is otherwise transferred through the crank and belt takes the form of energy in the exhaust gas for a turbo to drive the turbine which is mechanically linked to the compressor.