FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Result on my Turbo 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of fuel system would this setup require? What about keeping flex fuel? My truck is flex fuel and I'd like to keep e85 capability with a turbo...
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two walbro 450. What horsepower are you making?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Resurrecting an old but interesting thread as a new member. What ever happened with this build?
I am interested in pursuing a small turbo for my 6L 2000 3/4 ton chevy. But in rural Illinois, tuners are few and far between with knowledge about these. Anyone remote tune these setups or are there software tuners for diy that someone has base tunes for?
The following users liked this post:
A4edwin (08-09-2021)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Many guys on here run boosted setups and use an email tuners via HPtuners or EFI live. There's several site sponsors that offer tuning packages. I have had awesome luck with Atomic Fabrication and Performance tuning my supercharged 4.8.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Great to know. I tow a bunch with that truck, 9000 lbs plus. Anyone with experience with turbos in those applications? Tuning is so important at lower engine speed with some medium loading while cruising
Old 06-22-2018, 01:38 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Being a pro tuner, I highly recommend you do a blower instead of a turbo for that.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
Being a pro tuner, I highly recommend you do a blower instead of a turbo for that.
Why? I always hear "A turbo will make way too much heat." Well wait a minute. Why would a turbo "make heat"? You need a given HP to pull as fast as you want to pull, and the engine and trans will put off the heat from making that HP. Why is the way the boost produced that much different? Sure a turbo has some underhood heat considerations. I get that. And yes the power can be at a different place depending on the sizing of the turbo and the engine size.
Oh, and "you don't want to tow under boost" is another fav of mine. OK. Don't tow under boost then. But you may be slowing down up hills. You are going to be pressurized when you need the pressure. Regardless if it is a blower or a turbo.
So, is a turbo truck just that much harder to tune than a supercharged one? Certainly a pro can get it right?
Old 06-22-2018, 02:41 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Its not drastically harder to tune, but it is mechanically more complicated and more difficult to achieve a good level of reliability and towing performance. The underhood heat is not trivial, it is very significant.

Sounds like you have your mind made up though, good luck!
Old 06-22-2018, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Think about how a turbo uses hot exhaust gas to make boost. The problem is just magnified while pulling long grades under boost. Blowers don't use hot exhaust gas.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
Think about how a turbo uses hot exhaust gas to make boost. The problem is just magnified while pulling long grades under boost. Blowers don't use hot exhaust gas.
Certainly that is true. But the hot exhaust gasses and the intercooled pressurized intake gasses are not mixed and are connected by a rotating shaft only. Pressurizing gasses will have heat implications regardless of how you do it. Having the pump under the hood and driven by exhaust gasses will present some heat to get rid of. But are we convinced that a large intercooler will keep up easier with 4 psi of supercharged air vs 4 psi of turbocharged air? It really is a question. Should EGT's be significantly different for different boost sources with correct tuning for both?

Quick Reply: Result on my Turbo 6.2