FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

PSI and VOLUME questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSI and VOLUME questions

Is all boost created equal?
What I mean is lets say you have two turbos, in my case the STS base kit turbo T04e 60-1 and then the second being the GT67 upgrade.
Now lets say both are putting out 10psi of boost. Does the bigger turbo actually ceate more volume oputput than the smaller turbo thus more pressure into the engine?
The reason I ask is I'm thinking about how much boost from my turbo can my motor handle. Thinking that because the smaller turbo cannot possibly put out the same volume compared to the larger turbo.
Can I get away with 12 psi VS maybe 10psi with the GT67 upgrade?

With all this said what about the same senario with two different size superchargers?

Or is boost just boost?????
Old 10-19-2005, 01:34 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have to look at the compressor maps and see what efficiency range you would be in for each turbo for the desired boost level. The engine basically determines how much volume is needed to make x amount of boost through how much restriction there is. If you can make your desired boost level with the smaller turbo and still be in the high efficiency range then stay with it because it will be less laggy. If you are planning more mods that may push it past the high efficiency range or you are past it already, then consider the upgrade.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mzoomora
You would have to look at the compressor maps and see what efficiency range you would be in for each turbo for the desired boost level. The engine basically determines how much volume is needed to make x amount of boost through how much restriction there is. If you can make your desired boost level with the smaller turbo and still be in the high efficiency range then stay with it because it will be less laggy. If you are planning more mods that may push it past the high efficiency range or you are past it already, then consider the upgrade.

With no other variables changed with internal engine, intake, or exhaust.... Boost is boost.