FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Propane Turbo 5.3 first track day video

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Might have to think about a conversion on my s10 project.
Kory
Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn thats moving out pretty good and gets in to boost instantly!
Old 09-09-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Great runs John!!! Glad to see you get it going so well!

It's comments like these I will never understand....

Originally Posted by Atomic
Thats awesome! Pretty surprised they let you run with that tank back there though...
Originally Posted by GONEB4U
Congrats on the #'s. I agree its a great $ savings but I hope that tank never lets go. Cause that big tank will make a nice mushroom cloud. Just not worth the added risk of possible death with propane in my eyes. Good Luck with it.

You guys realizes there is a 26 gallon PLASTIC tank of HIGHLY flammable liquid gasoline mounted under your truck with nothing but 2 straps???? Only thing between it and the pavement is a thin metal shield...

I guess out of sight, out of mind???...
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Willing to bet GM put a lot of effort into making sure that plastic tank is very safe...more effort than your typical joe is going to put into safety considerations when bolting a huge propane tank to the bed. In that form the pressurized tank of propane is much more dangerous than a plastic tank of gasoline.

No one ever plans on wrecking, especially with something like this, and I hope it never happens, but if he does, it will be very bad if that tank is ruptured.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
MASS seller approved

Thanks, the small A/R makes it fun to drive, I am sure its a bit restrictive but I tried to find the balance and had no idea if it would even work when I spec'd it out. If anyone has a cheap used or new Tnetics F1-68 .96 ar housing laying around I would love to test it out it.

The mixer and vaporizer are basically regular propane parts, the carb hat didnt need to be billet, it just saved me the time to fab one up that would do the job. The billet lid is just insurance against boost leakage at the regulator.

Cost difference to doing up a gasoline jobbie would be minimal, It's probably somewhere between a thousand more or hundreds less depending what kind of builds you are trying to compare and how thrifty you are. You can spend a boat load on gasoline fuel system parts in a hurry. For instance my uni-bomber tank was $200 on craigslist and was half full

The biggest cost comes in the form of time learning how to figure it all out and tune it...
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 PM
MASS seller approved

Its a thick steel tank designed to be bolted into the back of a pick-up truck, bolted into the back of a pick-up truck... Now my sled, that was a different story

Thank you Kyle, it has come a long way!
Attached Thumbnails Propane Turbo 5.3 first track day video-propanetm8.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how DID you tune it? Are you using the ECM timing tables? How do you just use part of the tune in that case?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I dont want you to take my comment the wrong way, I think your project is great. You didnt give any details about the tank setup so I assumed the worst, but since it is purpose-made for what you are using it for, then I dont forsee a problem with it (not that you need my approval anyway ). Just wanted to clarify that.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GONEB4U
Congrats on the #'s. I agree its a great $ savings but I hope that tank never lets go. Cause that big tank will make a nice mushroom cloud. Just not worth the added risk of possible death with propane in my eyes. Good Luck with it.

Funny, they said the same thing about gasoline back in the day.

Driving period is dangerous these days.
I see atleast one wreck every morning and hear of no less than 2 every morning.

We are rigging up a similar setup on my buddys trail buggy with a 22RE. Once we get it figured out, its gettin a turbo.

You are tuning it with the stock PCM correct?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Great runs John!!! Glad to see you get it going so well!

It's comments like these I will never understand....

You guys realizes there is a 26 gallon PLASTIC tank of HIGHLY flammable liquid gasoline mounted under your truck with nothing but 2 straps???? Only thing between it and the pavement is a thin metal shield...

I guess out of sight, out of mind???...
I agree that having a 26 gallon tank full of flammable fuel strapped under your truck is not the safest place to be, but there are probably over a 100 millon cars on this planet that are gasoline powered. If you look at the statistics of the amount of fatalities because of blowing up in a gasoline vehicle compared to blowing to F in pieces if that propane tank ever lets go, then you would agree with my comment. If your in a car thats on fire then you might have the chance of escaping. Propane doesnt catch on fire. It blows up. The internet is full of vids when a BBQ tank lets go. What do you think would happen if that huge BOMB in the back of his pickup truck's bed lets go. I know there are alot of CNG vehicles running around but I never see any of them with a tank bolted in the back of their truck in the open like that. Its a nice and cool idea. But I wouldnt want that truck near me on the 4th of July. Nice times and #'s but I just would'nt risk it.

Quick Reply: Propane Turbo 5.3 first track day video