FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Procharger vs Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger vs Vortech

Hope i can get some good advice here because im seriously confused at the moment, im not sure what would work best for my truck a Vortech or a Procharger. A good friend of mine and my tuner both recommend the Vortech over the Procharger for the following reasons:

- very poor filter placement on the Procharger, sucking air from the back of the engine bay right above the driver's side manifolds vs a proper cold air setup on the Vortech
- A2W intercooler on the Vortech which ive been told is the better option for our super hot climate vs a poorly located A2A intercooler on the Procharger, which needs some customization to become a front mount intercooler for starters.

I disregarded those comments and ordered a Procharger because thats what every1 runs infact I used the search and cant find anyone with a Vortech on a 6.2?! So I thought to myself people must be running them for a good reason, even though I have to admit that im now having some doubts, because frankly speaking those points mentioned above do sound quite legitimate (more or less).

One simple question: which is the better and more efficient kit and WHY?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Procharger...... There 3 core cooler works very well, how ever with a little fabbing, you can do a front mount like some other guys and my self have down.. I have logged a few times on very hot days, the talk of the filter being in a bad place is nothing more then hype, based on what I have got on log results.. IATs never went above 10 deg ambient, this was in 9x deg weather..
Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Probably the best reason to choose a procharger over the vortech is the amount of available tech support. Vortech makes good stuff, but it is not a common blower in the ls world when compared to the procharger.

As to your tuner/buddy's comments...

...if your worried about the air filter location, fab a pipe to relocate the filter. Although, loss of boost/power has been seen by doing this. If not done correctly it can actually create a restriction.

...if you'd prefer the Vortech brand A2W, just buy the procharger and brackets seperately, and but a Vortech A2W and plumb it in with custom pipes. For a street type build, it'd probably be a waste due to return on cost/time.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Teching In

This might not be helpfull but im using the vortech on a 6.0 not a 6.2 but i have run my filter like the procharger and im using a A2A intercooler.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the vortech blower he is referring to is the new twin screw style not the old centrifugal. The vortech will have a lot more off idle torque down low and the procharger requires a loose converter. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black04
I think the vortech blower he is referring to is the new twin screw style not the old centrifugal. The vortech will have a lot more off idle torque down low and the procharger requires a loose converter. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
no i am actually referring to the centrifugal.. this is the part number 4GL218-350L
Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

As i told you, we tried the Procharger on 6.2 Escalade...poor performance.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blown06
Probably the best reason to choose a procharger over the vortech is the amount of available tech support. Vortech makes good stuff, but it is not a common blower in the ls world when compared to the procharger.

As to your tuner/buddy's comments...

...if your worried about the air filter location, fab a pipe to relocate the filter. Although, loss of boost/power has been seen by doing this. If not done correctly it can actually create a restriction.

...if you'd prefer the Vortech brand A2W, just buy the procharger and brackets seperately, and but a Vortech A2W and plumb it in with custom pipes. For a street type build, it'd probably be a waste due to return on cost/time.
We did everthing, we changed the Airfilter location, the location of the intercooler then we added water injection but for what we spent it wasn't worth it.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Was it a p1 or d1? What converter?
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you made a good decision. vortech makes good stuff but i heard they are not built as good as procharger on the internals . there air to water i think its a waste of money cause your using air to cool your water any way so unless you have a ice box with it and even then the ice only last 1 run down the 1/4 mile so street use i dont see it making any difference besides you have another pump to worrie about replacing and a bunch more weight added to the truck with the water tanks.and the install is a lil more difficult. the procharger set up is simple and effective.

Quick Reply: Procharger vs Vortech