FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Planning hot side, getting ready for engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning hot side, getting ready for engine swap

I'm swapping a LY6 for a v6 into my 2011 Silverado 1500. Engine is pretty much ready on the stand, so I'd like to plan as much of the hotside as I can before the swap to minimize downtime. Its a T6 turbo so it will be making plenty of power, I'm not super concerned about milking every hp I can so I wouldnt mind reusing the truck manifolds but open to other options. Keeping the AC is a must. I just want to have a general plan so I have as much stuff as I need before starting, again to try to minimize the downtime. Plans can change, just want to have one before I start pulling the old engine out. Just hard to guess without really seeing the space I have to work with.

So I guess my question is, whats going to be the easiest option for me? Looking at what other people have done, seems like flipping the manifolds so they point up and foward and running the crossover pipe in front of the engine and keeping the AC in the normal spot.

Also considering something like the hooker headers and relocating the AC to higher up. I think that would work, just not sure if it would be better, worse, or what the tradeoffs would be. I wouldn't mind buying some new headers or already fabbed stuff but looking to keep it reasonably priced and also not wait forever if its not in stock. I had to wait like 4 months for my ECU and dont feel like doing that again.

Any thoughts or suggestions for me?
Thanks
Old 09-26-2021, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 344 Likes on 264 Posts

I'd get a hotside from Trick
Old 09-26-2021, 07:57 PM
Teching In

I was considering that but seems like almost everything there is out of stock, I might contact them to see the wait but I'm guessing not good. Also pretty expensive for just one manifold, crossover pipe and downpipe for 2200$.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Small price to pay for a cast manifold and a full hotside that is guaranteed to fit perfectly.

If you want to save a few bucks and have fab skills, you can get just the passenger side log from him and build the rest yourself.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Any idea about the hooker headers?

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hooke...EaAnN6EALw_wcB

Not to bad of a price. I know that would block the factory AC but could I pair that with something like the ICT relocate kit? I've been searching but hard to tell exactly what people have done and if they even kept AC.
Amazon Amazon

I sent an email to trick turbo, We'll see what the ETA might be too.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

IDK where you would relocate the AC so it wasn't in the way of something.

You can build your own hotside and just "borrow" Trick's design. I've built a hotside before... I'd say dollar for dollar you can't beat a pre made kit like Trick offers
Old 09-28-2021, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I would imagine if you use this ICT bracket setup you would clear the Hooker manifold: https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-truck-a...5-3l-6-0l.html

You can see the Hooker manifold outlet up front is below the water pump heater lines and the ICT A/C setup sits above the water pump heater lines.

Things that would most likely need to be addressed:
Custom A/C lines
Most likely a different radiator overflow tank
Use the same water pump t-stat housing shown in the Hooker manifold pic (you can see that it is threaded and pointing straight forward)
Custom lower radiator hose
Lose some inner fender on that side for the DP

I'd think the turbo orientation/location would be similar to the pic shown which seem like somewhere in the airbox area.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ALL ULL C
I would imagine if you use this ICT bracket setup you would clear the Hooker manifold: https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-truck-a...5-3l-6-0l.html

You can see the Hooker manifold outlet up front is below the water pump heater lines and the ICT A/C setup sits above the water pump heater lines.

Things that would most likely need to be addressed:
Custom A/C lines
Most likely a different radiator overflow tank
Use the same water pump t-stat housing shown in the Hooker manifold pic (you can see that it is threaded and pointing straight forward)
Custom lower radiator hose
Lose some inner fender on that side for the DP

I'd think the turbo orientation/location would be similar to the pic shown which seem like somewhere in the airbox area.
Looks like the down pipe would then run into the AC compressor?
Old 09-28-2021, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Not if he placed it in the air box area, I’m talking pretty close to the headlight and over towards the fender. I’d think it would pass by or below as that A/C compressor basically sits where a typical turbo would like in a Trick Kit.

I’m partial to say wait on a Trick manifold as well as it just makes it too easy to install and very much proven. But if OP is determined and has some fab skills maybe he can prove out another option.
The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (09-29-2021)