FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Pissed at STS kit design!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pissed at STS kit design!!!

So there I was driving down the road here in sunny southern California when I go through one of those dips in the road we have down here and the rearend bottoms out. I keep going for a minute when my buddy tells me smoke is pouring out the back of my truck. I pull over and shut her down and there is oil everwhere. I look under the back of the truck and oil is coating everything. I wait for it to cool down down and crawl under it and the oil line that feeds the turbo broke off. My question is why is this thing right on top of the turbo a couple of inches from the underside of my bed? My engine was 4 quarts of oil low and I ran the turbo without oil for about a minute. The turbo still spins freely and it works, but how much life did I take out of the turbo? The oil buzzer never went off. When the shop that did the install took it for the test drive they said the oil buzzer came on too soon and adjusted it. Also the oil return pump now sounds noisy as hell. At least twice as loud as before. Needless to say I am now paranoid its going to happen again and I am half tempted to try and get my money back and return the kit. That could have blown my motor if my buddy didn't notice the smoke. With 4 quarts low was my oil pump even picking up anything? I could have gotten bearing damage still and just not notice it for a while until a bearing starts knocking.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your "message center" in the dash should have told you the oil level was low, but the buzzer not comeing on sounds like is the shop that installed the kits fault.
So what hit the oil supply tube on the top of the turbo to brake it off?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, that is really unfortunate.

They will probably tell you that the kit is not designed to work in a vehicle that has been lowered and that you need to use precaution when driving over bumps.

I wish the best luck to you! I hate when **** like this happens to me and everyone says its "your fault for modifying it."
Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

who would have thought. running oil lines across your underbody was a poor idea. Look on the bright side- you're lucky your truck didn't catch fire. oil + cats = fire. feeding fire = insurance claim.

I dont mean to be a jerk about it, i can definately understand how you feel and it DEFINATELY SUCKS, but can you honestly say you didn't see it coming?

I've been warning people about this since the kit came out. The f-body ones have the turbo close to the gas tank and fuel lines IIRC.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Veteran

So was the fitting that close to your underbody that it was actually touching or so close that some body flex made it contact?
I have had zero issues with mine but its a 4x4 that sits at or near the stock height of a 2wd truck.
The thing I changed on my STS kit was the oil return line to the pump. I hard plumbed it with brass pipe until I decide to replace that with a stainless braided line. Rubber lines next to hot exhaust pipe is a big drawback of the stuff provided in the kit.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if its because I have an Avalanche or because its a little lower. But that fitting is only about an inch and a half from the underside of the bed. My Z-71 Av is still higher than a stock 2wd truck or Av.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

The fact that the truck is lowered shouldn't matter much unless maybe you have it severly lowered or maybe an axle flip kit or something. Exhaust all runs about the same place truck to truck and is not too ordinarily too close to the body. With a two inch drop I'm surprised to hear that you had a issue. That's not very low at all. I'm guessing the axle bumped up to some tubing and pushed it all up.

I've never seen a truck bottom out shocks with only a two inch drop so that doesn't explain it either.

I'd definitely call the company. And try really hard to get them to take it back. It seems like this kit is only safe for total flat land trucks that stay close to home.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The buzzer shouldn't have gone off. It's job is to warn you if oil pressure is backing up in the turbo from the return pump not pumping it back to the motor fast enough, not from the turbo not getting oil. The turbo is probably fine, as unless your boosting it needs very little oil to drive at normal speeds. Don't know what to tell you about the feed line braking off, other then maybe it was not properly installed? I've put over 12,000 hard miles on mine and had no problems. Sorry about your luck

Last edited by kbracing96; 11-07-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Registered abuser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treyZ28
I've been warning people about this since the kit came out. The f-body ones have the turbo close to the gas tank and fuel lines IIRC.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2" rear springs would have nothing to do with it. I have the Eibach 3" drop springs on my AV and have never bottomed out....there is still over 5" between my tires and the fenders.

Quick Reply: Pissed at STS kit design!!!