FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

new to boost 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new to boost 5.3

Whatsup guys, some the ogs may remember me......Looking to get some input on my setup, been around LS stuff for a long time and Diesel turbo stuff but never boosted LS...ive come to the conclusion to swap from nitrous to turbo on my small tire stock suspension s10.

Little run down of the setup, its a sbe gen 3 5.3, 799 heads, BTR platinum springs, super vic intake,2'' open plenum spacer, fast 4150 tb, extreme velocity pro series carb hat, 80lb dekas, aeromotive A1000 pump and reg. its in a 2600ish pound s10, race only with occasional street cruise. backed by a 1.80 straight cut planet JW ultra belled glide with trans brake, 8.8 31 spline and 3.73s with a 28x10.5 tire. All controlled by MS3 PRO

Ok so ive done lots of reading until my eyes have crossed and ive forgot more numbers than i can remember. My delima is weather to try and squeeze a S475 single up front an move the radiator to the bed (no problems, i havnt plummed anything yet and can build anything). Its going to be super tight fit with the pluming because i want it front mounted with the inlet in the grill or bumper and to split the downpipe to exit both lower fenders. also would need to change up my current tubular rad support

Keep in mind id like to do this on e85 and no intercooler (i know i know, its best to run one) it will only be raced at a track or occasional trip to mexico.

Option 2, go twins. No idea what turbos, ive seen from 55mm up to 76mm for twins. i was looking at the VS racing 7675s as options. or spend little more and go with S366s (have a single s366 setup on my duramax). Ive looked at the twin plumbing and have figured out multiple ways to do it pretty easily.
1. keep my current 26x19 radiator and bbc elec water pump and mount turbos behind headlights (add lots of nose weight and im kinda wanting the turbo inlets in the grill.
2. run radiator in bed and swap to remote mount water pump on frame rail and do a setup very similar to Flaco on Cornfed 2.0 with both turbo inlets in the grille.
3. run a civic size half radiator and still run bbc elec pump, mounting turbos still front facing in grille with slight angle toward center (the best option ive came up with for twins so far).

I dont have any HP goals really in mind, i just want a consistent combo that i can run in the 5s with and not have to run it on the ragged edge every pass. Ill have boost controll setup in ms3 pro as well as maybe traction control.

Am i out of my mind with thinking this goal is possible with my ideas? or am i atleast on the right track.... i dont want to say im on a budget but im using the money from selling my induction solution nitrous setup and some spare ls stuff to fund the swap. Id like to stay around 700-900 for the turbo(s) and i know the s475 is right there in that range. and the vs racing ones are like $320 a piece if they will do what i need to do. the s366s would be a little more but i know its been proven before. Also i want to build my piping setup to be able to upgrade turbos with a simple unbolt and bolt in swap when i do go to bigger cubes and forged powerplant.

Sorry for the long winded post, just trying to cover my bases and explain kind of what if found from research but there is literaly a million different opinions on what will spool and what is streetable and yada yada....im kind of lookin for some track only setups that are proven.

If i can figure out the image hosting again ill post pics of my setup so you can see what im dealing with.
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails new to boost 5.3-21543777_1761198937243378_2438845993939666279_o.jpg   new to boost 5.3-19146188_1666986816664591_7459031354395349220_n.jpg  
Old 12-14-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You could just keep it simple with a log manifold on the pass side and run the S475 and just fender dump the turbo. I've built a few manifolds for that type of setup on s10's. Also, my 5.3 in the 69 c10 is non-intercooled blow through and I've been very happy with it.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll 2nd the keep it simple method. Without fender wells in there, you've got plenty of room to mount a single turbo of nearly any size on either side of the engine with log manifolds and not need to run a remote radiator. I'd put velocity stacks in the headlight buckets with piping back to the turbo inlets if you want that look.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

while i would agree going with log manifold and all that is simple...and i plan on that setup on another project, i really not looking for simple ha. i can fab all the piping and whatnot.
I really want front facing inlets, not sure if its just an OCD thing or what. and fitting a s475 front facing is hindered by space constraints.
Some quick measurments i come up with are a s475 is roughly 10-11 inches deep from inlet to dp exit. now add a 5'' v band flange and 2 3'' 90s out as short as possible and i come up with it being roughly a 16-17'' package. from the face of my grill where the turbo inlet would be to the timing cover is only about 18.5'' if i move it down so the inlet is in the bumper i end up with about 19'' to the balancer and i have a truck one on there now, i dont have any acc. so i can always swap to a vette one and gain extra room.

Another thing is im not so much worried about having to move radiator to the rear because i will end up needing some weight in the rear end anyway im almost sure. and loosing the nitrous setup dropped about 40 pounds off the rear already because of dual bottles and brackets. so ill balance it out from the added weight of turbos and piping up front with the radiator, fans an trans cooler all mounted back there. and shouldnt have cooling issues on e85 and the short runs it will see.

I know im probably being picky or over complicating what should be a simple setup, im just going for ease of upgrading later, simple turbo piping and use most of the stuff i have now as far as the up and foward headers, radiator and no intercooler. it will be almost impossible to fit anything without going A-W in the cab or in the bed and thats out the picture right now
Old 12-15-2017, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 12-15-2017, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

twin 366s with small rad in front .
Old 12-15-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you're going for weight in the rear and no intercooler, why not mount the turbos in the bed? Maximum interchangeability, extra pipe for cooling, and you get to show them off.