FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magnacharger Radix theory

Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really dont think there would be much of a problem with the shorter runners. They did it on the TVS units, and all the Whipple units. I spent many hours designing a better intercooler for the Radix, but the limiting factor will be the physical size of the supercharger. The intercooler is small, and that hurts it right off the bat. If you want to go with a larger intercooler, you need to make a whole upper intake. If you are spending the time to make an upper intake, you might as well mate it to a better lower intake. If you are improving everything that much under the supercharger, you might as well put a better supercharger on it. After I thought of all that stuff the best solution I came up with would be just to get a sandrail Whipple kit.

The Radix has its place, and it was a real fun supercharger, but it also has its limits. The intercooler just physically cant move the air it needs to. At that point I dont think it is working efficiently as a cooler.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind, no matter if an engine is boosted or not, all air entering an engine/air pump is pressurized. Atmospheric pressure is what allows us to live on this planet. It is around 14.5 PSI standard (this will change due to weather but as a rule this is the number). Boost is a number above atmospheric reference. Pressure and flow are independent entities of each other. Pressure is pressure and flow is flow. It is pretty evident in our Magnacharger manifolds we have a flow problem (i.e. CFM). They put a lot of "stuff" in a very small place and the airflow suffers. I'd be willing to bet the distance from bottom of intercooler to top of runners is somewhere around 3/8". This is the plenum volume (3/8" x L x W) that the engine pulls from when needed. It is not sufficient in my opinion. This is why the guys running spacers are having so much luck with gains and lower IATs. As I think more, I think shortening the runner length AND adding a spacer will increase the volume for when it is needed. We could also add a much larger intercooler to help as well since we would have the room.

Lastly, a good friend of mine who I worked for while in college at his mechanic shop, told me: "Don't ever do something you love for a living as you will end up hating it." I love cars and working on them but its a hobby and always will be for me.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's exactly what I was trying to say, except I failed.

And that's a good point about not working on your hobby full time as a living. We'll see where I end up.

So the question remains: Are you gonna try it?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I want to do it but I need to find (or have donated) and lower base so I can get started without having the downtime.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I don't know how long it would take to get your supercharger apart to the point seen in the pics in the first post, but I bet I could do the mods you want in short order. It seems like you want to put it in a milling machine. A sawzall and a die grinder would make quick work of that job. Not joking.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
A sawzall and a die grinder would make quick work of that job. Not joking.
I agree 100%. Even if you use an expensive machine to cut out those runners, you'll still want to finish it by hand...
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

I could probably have the supercharger off and apart in around 2-3 hours of straight work.

The reason for putting the manifold base in a Bridgeport mill is to ensure the runner lengths are as nearly the same length as possible. I understand that some hand work will need to be performed but the initial removal of material would be much better suited to a mill.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Just get the Whipple base unit. They are only $500, and they are a much better square design.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Will the Radix blower fit on a whipple base unit?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

No, it wont fit. If you are going with a bigger intercooler, you would have to go with a different upper intake anyways. If you wanted to just open up the lower intake, I dont see that you will benefit from that. It seems the biggest improvements will come with a larger intercooler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnacharger Radix theory