FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Magnacharger Radix theory

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnacharger Radix theory

First off, let me preface this post by saying I am by no means discounting the engineering work the people at Magnacharger did to come up with the Radix MP112 supercharger system for our trucks. It is an awesome system for people looking for more "bolt-on" power that is reliable.

Anyways, being a mechanical engineer myself, I always am thinking about how things work and if it could be made better suited to my needs. Because this is a mass produced system marketed for the masses, I feel the Radix system has its obvious performance limitations. I know everyone will say the Eaton MP112 is not efficient at higher boost, has high IATs, doesn't pull after 70 MPH or so, but I think, for my combination, we can make some improvements.

One thing that everyone will say about the Radix system is its awesome low end torque! There is no questioning it, however, in more performance oriented applications, I think this can actually be a downfall of the system. From my research it seems that all MP112 systems come with the same base. This base has a "long runner" design, which if anyone is familiar with the 80's TPI engines, promotes torque, but limits high(er) RPM breathing. Also, because of these long runners, the intercooler "exit" is effectively blocked so under boost, the air exiting the intercooler hits a wall and has to take a 90* turn to get into the runners. It also limits the size of the intercooler that can be packaged.

Name:  LongRunners_zps1a4f0f6a.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  107.3 KB

After doing even more searching I found a picture of a so called "prototype" base where the runners were milled away. This reminded me of the evolution of the small block Chevy: 1990's LT1 engine. This engine lost substantial low end torque compared to the TPI engines but made superior high end power. When the TPI ran out of breath around 4000 or so, the LT1 pulled all the way to 5500. Assuming equal traction, a TPI car could outrun an LT1 to about 50 MPH and then the LT1's superior HP took over.

Name:  ModifiedRunners_zps8a8c21c5.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  131.0 KB

Now here is my theory: In my application, I am running a 6.0 with a cam oriented for street torque. Why do I need more from the supercharger when traction is already a problem? I run my truck 99.5% on the street and 1st and 2nd are useless at WOT. I think I would be glad to give up 50 RWTQ in exchange for 50 RWHP in the upper rpms.

I'm looking for peoples honest opinions. If people feel this would be a viable test, I would be 100% willing to dyno my truck with current setup, mill the runners away on another base, install, retune, and dyno again just to see if my theory works. I am also thinking about contacting Magnacharger about this as well.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:27 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in for results... looking forward subscribe!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also in for results. I was thinking about something like this this morning. Weird that this thread came up.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

as well in for results.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it!
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Someone find me a base so I can get milling...
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you don't have a radix kit...?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I do, but I do not want to modify my base in case it doesn't work as planned. Also, I want to have as little downtime as possible so if I have another base, I can mill it and swap it in a day.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

You will be disappointed by the low end torque loss and reduced throttle response when you are not in boost.
The runner length should be overcome by boost. It is my opinion that you will not see the same gains that a N/A engine would with the same mods to the intake runners, but you will see the same losses.
I think that you should look elsewhere to improve your higher-rpm power.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

I was never at a loss for high rpm power when I had my stock truck intake, my blower, intercooled, and stock 6.0. A stock truck intake runners are quite a bit longer than what I see in the top picture.

Quick Reply: Magnacharger Radix theory