FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

MagnaCharger installed, a few questions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MagnaCharger installed, a few questions??

UPDATED 4:46PM 3/9/09- All problems Fixed! Thanks for the input fellas!
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I finally got Grip's blower installed and took her for a drive a lil bit ago.

Just a few questions since I am new to the FI scene...

-Is the Intercooler pump noticeably loud? I can't hear this one at all, even when the accessory is the only thing on (not starting the truck). I noticed that when the truck is running, there doesn't appear to be coolant flowing through the overflow tank, etc.

-There is a very very faint hiss coming from behind the blower by the Jtube. Is this just a loose hose that is causing the hiss or is something wrong?

-There is coolant leaking from the coolant vent pipe where the hose hooks into it. I am wondering if its just something as simple as a loose hose, or something bigger? There isn't much room between the blower and the coolant pipe to fit the hose all the way down the pipe, but I imagine I could get it a tad closer and maybe hose clamp it down instead of the squeeze clamp thats on there now.

I would have diagnosed all this today but I am dead beat and figured I would ask those questions on here first and work on it tomorrow.

It is fun to drive tho. Only took it down the street and back, needs the final tune, but definetly a noticeable difference!

Last edited by SuperchargedSS; 03-09-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
Truck Sponsor

You should hear the pump, did you purge the air bubbles and make sure you filled up the hoses then top off the tank?
Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

The pump isnt overly loud, its actually kinda quiet. I couldnt hear the one on my truck over it sitting there idling. I would start the truck and pull the cap of the tank and see if the coolant is flowing back into it. You should be able to see it coming back into the tank. Those tubes are a pain in the *** with the radix, I bent mine down a little and used a good hose clamp, not the normal style one, the ones for fuel inj. I would guess that the hissing noise is a vac leak and its prolly just one of the ports not capped off. Good to see you got it going.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 2005 install and have never heard the pump.

The hiss is definitely a problem. There are nipples back there, one for the boost gauge accessible from the drivers side. Maybe he had a gauge and you need to plug it.

Better get to the bottom of the leak.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therock
I have a 2005 install and have never heard the pump.

The hiss is definitely a problem. There are nipples back there, one for the boost gauge accessible from the drivers side. Maybe he had a gauge and you need to plug it.

Better get to the bottom of the leak.
The nipple for the boost gauge has a blue rubber cap on it. Definetly sounds like its coming from the back of the Jtube in my opinion. There are three hose connections back there, but all of them are snug and installed. Hmmm...

As far as the leak goes, its definetly coming from the coolant vent pipe. I can see it. I'm gonna try to get it latched on there a tad better tomorrow morning and run it again.

As far as the intercooler goes Jenna, I filled up the tank, turn the accessory over on ignition to get the intercooler pump to start flowing the coolant, but I can't tell if its doing its job. I opened up the bleeder on the hose and let it run for a bit, but there isnt much movement going on there. I am going to pull the power on the bottom of the intercooler to make sure its getting power tomorrow. I know the where its tapped into the fuse panel its getting power there, but it might be having issues at the relay. We'll see...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You normally can't hear the pump running, but you should be able to see flow into the coolant tank.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wkdivr
You normally can't hear the pump running, but you should be able to see flow into the coolant tank.
Gotcha. Now for another amatuer question. I have the Canton overflow tank. It's filled about 2/3 up with fluid. That sound about right?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the 'hiss' isn't a vaccuum leak. Is ur boost guage plumbing all good? As for the I/C pump, its pretty quiet, but u shud def see flow...it wudn't be 'spraying' the other side of the tank, but a gentle full hose volume flow enuf to keep the tank level. R/
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dhpro
Check the 'hiss' isn't a vaccuum leak. Is ur boost guage plumbing all good? As for the I/C pump, its pretty quiet, but u shud def see flow...it wudn't be 'spraying' the other side of the tank, but a gentle full hose volume flow enuf to keep the tank level. R/
Boost gauge is not hooked up. That might be the issue. It's capped, but I think I might check the seal on the cap to make sure that's not the issue. As far as the gauge goes, I still have to run the line into the engine bay. Now I know why electric boost gauges are better, lol.

I think the intercooler pump is definetly not running. Going to double check all the power/ignition/gound today. Just got tired last night and figured I'd sit back and worry about that today.

Thanks for all the advice fellas!!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once you get the intercooler pump running, I would fill the tank to just below the level of the coolant coming in. You DO have the coolant running IN in the top fitting, and the coolant OUT fitting is the bottom one.

Quick Reply: MagnaCharger installed, a few questions??