FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Looking for intercooler options

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for intercooler options

Right now I'm investigating water-air Intercooler options to run with a Procharger D-1SC.

My biggest concern is core size of the IC itself, and also sourcing an adequate heat exchanger. ( I REALLY like the size of the Magnuson TBSS heat exchanger, but price is a determining factor)

My next biggest concern is inlet outlet of the air piping, 3.0" or 3.5"...I will be using a MAF so I'd have to step up right from either of those two.

Lastly, talking strictly water flow and GPH, is 0.5" NPT sufficient, or do I need to only consider 0.7" and larger (such as the cores at www.cxracing.com)

Any links, websites, posts, insight appreciated.

D-1SC on a TrailBlazer SS, stock cam, stock heads, 3200-3600 stall, running at 8psi (4.0" pulley).

Thanks
-Mike
Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

You can check out frozenboost(.com) for some A/W IC products and ideas.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Hey!

Thanks. Actually I am a siliconeintakes(.com) and frozenboost(.com) dealer---BUT am looking for *other* ideas.

Another decent site I found was cxracing(.com) (actually was sent to me)

But I'm concerned about flow with the frozenboost stuff if the 0.5" NPT is sufficient or not. Can anyone give the thumbs up?

Magnuson puts 3/4" inlet/outlets on their exchangers for a reason.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

It will depend on the pump you are using. The meziere pump we have used in the past has a -12 an inlet and out I believe. 1/2 npt looks HUGE until you still a fitting into it. And depending on the fitting can really hurt flow of a large pump. all in all its probably not going to throu you off much. Just getting fittings with the largest ID, and that allow you to use a min of 5/8 heater hose.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
It will depend on the pump you are using. The meziere pump we have used in the past has a -12 an inlet and out I believe. 1/2 npt looks HUGE until you still a fitting into it. And depending on the fitting can really hurt flow of a large pump. all in all its probably not going to throu you off much. Just getting fittings with the largest ID, and that allow you to use a min of 5/8 heater hose.
So essentially, either drill out and tap the current Intercooler, or find one that already has big enough inlet/outlet?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Truck Sponsor

I would use what you have and see what it does prior to changing anything. I have 2 cheap ebay cores we built 1 twin IC out of for mock up. I am planning on using them and seeing if I need to get another IC built. Probably the same type of cores you have.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Actually,

I don't have anything-at all. I'm trying to just research as much as possible before dropping coin. The whole point to the project I am working on was to save some cash.

I will say that a few of your projects make my wallet appear to open up! LOL

Would you say the pump you mention is superior to the Bosch "cobra" pump?

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious as why you want to run a A-W ic vs A-A ic??
Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Actually,

I don't have anything-at all. I'm trying to just research as much as possible before dropping coin. The whole point to the project I am working on was to save some cash.

I will say that a few of your projects make my wallet appear to open up! LOL

Would you say the pump you mention is superior to the Bosch "cobra" pump?
I have never used the Bosch cobra pump so I would not be a good choice to compare. The Meziere is 20gpm and 5amps.

the johnson marine pump.

26 gpm 7.4 amps.

I like the mezieze but packaging can be a problem at times. I have used the marine pump and it seemed to do just fine with lots of flow and the packaging made for a tad easier install.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
Curious as why you want to run a A-W ic vs A-A ic??
On the TBSS there is not a good place for a air-air intercooler unless it is tipped down towards the ground and I don't feel that is safe for MI roads or winters.

Originally Posted by TrickPerformanceProducts
I have never used the Bosch cobra pump so I would not be a good choice to compare. The Meziere is 20gpm and 5amps.

the johnson marine pump.

26 gpm 7.4 amps.

I like the mezieze but packaging can be a problem at times. I have used the marine pump and it seemed to do just fine with lots of flow and the packaging made for a tad easier install.
Looks good, thanks!

Quick Reply: Looking for intercooler options