FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Lets talk Alky injection....

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets talk Alky injection....

I have an SMC alky kit on my truck with the Whipple. Currently the hose is not hooked up. I am debating where to spray it. I have it tapped into the Whipple elbow where the throttle body used to be. That way it sprays on the outlet side of the charger directly into the intake. I know that is the best place for it to be as far as lowering the IAT's the most, but, I am allways afraid of it puddling up in the intake.(has happened before and took out the old 4.8) Thats why i dont have the hose hooked up now, I dont want another mishap to happen.
I am thinking about running the alky line to the intake tube and spraying towards the inlet of the blower instead. I know this will not yield the best IAT temp reduction, but yet it will still help to drop them. I'm thinking that there should be no problem with any puddling in the intake this way also.

Give me your thoughts/opinions
Thanks,
Randy
Old 08-07-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ranwalk
I have an SMC alky kit on my truck with the Whipple. Currently the hose is not hooked up. I am debating where to spray it. I have it tapped into the Whipple elbow where the throttle body used to be. That way it sprays on the outlet side of the charger directly into the intake. I know that is the best place for it to be as far as lowering the IAT's the most, but, I am allways afraid of it puddling up in the intake.(has happened before and took out the old 4.8) Thats why i dont have the hose hooked up now, I dont want another mishap to happen.
I am thinking about running the alky line to the intake tube and spraying towards the inlet of the blower instead. I know this will not yield the best IAT temp reduction, but yet it will still help to drop them. I'm thinking that there should be no problem with any puddling in the intake this way also.

Give me your thoughts/opinions
Thanks,
Randy

Both SMC and Snow Performance tell you to spray them in front of the throttle body. With alky/water injection the biggest benefit occurs in the combustion chamber pulling excess heat out to allow more boost and timing; air temp reduction is secondary and in my experience isn't that much relatively speaking.

If you do inject after the throttle body you must run a solenoid to prevent siphoning as you'll be injecting into a vacuum area. On my Lightning the alky is worth 50+ rwhp in additional timing/boost on our crummy 91 octane pump gas. Not a replacement for a race tune and race gas, but extremely close numbers to the race tune on pump gas. I am running 8+ degrees more timing and 20 psi of boost on 91 octane with the Snow kit; without it the boost and/or timing would have to change significantly.

Jody
Old 08-07-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camcojb
Both SMC and Snow Performance tell you to spray them in front of the throttle body. With alky/water injection the biggest benefit occurs in the combustion chamber pulling excess heat out to allow more boost and timing; air temp reduction is secondary and in my experience isn't that much relatively speaking.

If you do inject after the throttle body you must run a solenoid to prevent siphoning as you'll be injecting into a vacuum area. On my Lightning the alky is worth 50+ rwhp in additional timing/boost on our crummy 91 octane pump gas. Not a replacement for a race tune and race gas, but extremely close numbers to the race tune on pump gas. I am running 8+ degrees more timing and 20 psi of boost on 91 octane with the Snow kit; without it the boost and/or timing would have to change significantly.

Jody
Thanks for the reply. I just checked out your site, nice rides
Maybe you can answer this for me, on a Lightning, do you have to spray the alky though the blower? My next problem was knowing if it hurts anything to spray through the blower? If it doesnt then i think I will be relocating my nozzle to the inlet side of the blower. I have the solenoid to stop the siphoning but I just dont trust it all that much. If I can yeild the same results by spraying though the throttle body and though the blower without it hurting anything than I think that will be the best way to do it.

Randy
Old 08-07-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ranwalk
Thanks for the reply. I just checked out your site, nice rides
Maybe you can answer this for me, on a Lightning, do you have to spray the alky though the blower? My next problem was knowing if it hurts anything to spray through the blower? If it doesnt then i think I will be relocating my nozzle to the inlet side of the blower. I have the solenoid to stop the siphoning but I just dont trust it all that much. If I can yeild the same results by spraying though the throttle body and though the blower without it hurting anything than I think that will be the best way to do it.

Randy

You do not have to. But SMC and Snow both said to spray through the throttle body and blower. I've run the alky/water on the stock Eaton (teflon-coated rotors), a Works 112, and the current KB with no affects on the blower at all. Rotors look perfect and seems to run well.

Jody
Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info. I am going to relocate and spray though the blower. Just gotta get with SMC and see if he can make me a longer hose.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

When you spray the alcy into the hot air it flashes or evaporates into the air. This is how it brings down the air temp. You would have to be dumping an awful lot of alcy to get it to puddle. There are people spraying with two nozzles and its not puddling.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
When you spray the alcy into the hot air it flashes or evaporates into the air. This is how it brings down the air temp. You would have to be dumping an awful lot of alcy to get it to puddle. There are people spraying with two nozzles and its not puddling.
Your right, my problem is I had a mishap with it siphoning out and it blew the 4.8. I didnt have the solenoid on it to stop this from happening. I have the solenoid now, but from past experiance I am still gunshy to keep the nozzle in front of the intake(what if the solenoid stuck open ) I'm just looking for a safer alternative to put the nozzle.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe set up a dual nozzle system. You can use your primary nozzle preblower and a second, much smaller nozzle into the TB. Maybe a 125ml or so. That would give you the best of all worlds. You may not have much faith in the soleniod, but with such a small secondary nozzle it still wouldnt hurt anything