FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

L33 5.3 Radix Pulley Size Examples Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default L33 5.3 Radix Pulley Size Examples Wanted

I am thinking of getting a tad smaller on my pulley size and want to know what pulley size the L33 engine folks are running. Adding your mods like exhaust and such would be great too.

Below is a chart between the L33 & LM7.

I have a Radix intercooled on a 2005 L33 5.3 with a 3.5 pulley and get 6 psi on a good day.

I have a Corsa pipe and an AIRAID CAI and get 361 RWHP on a very hot and humid Atlanta day. Stock tires.

This tune is the supplied Maggie in 2005. I enjoy the truck but am having the tranny built up and want to know if I can get away with going to a 3.4 or lesser without a tune adjustment. The OE tune was considering a stock tranny.

I hear but need confirmation that a .10 pulley size drop is 1lb boost?
What HP would 1 pound of boost equate to?

Now I think I am plenty rich enough. My pipe tip stays coal black and I get this slightly visible light gray cloud on boost. At night in the loosers headlights it's really visible.

I am no tune guru. I just know to be careful and the added compression of the L33 over the LM7 is an important factor.

What say you L33 guys. What are you running?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there arn't too many of us L33's ... if you click my sig pic and look at page 2 it will show you the graphs (made on the same dyno, with the same tuner) with different pully swaps. The 3.2" pulley made great power and the 3" was insane
Old 03-08-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant wait for my new tranny so I can pulley down
Old 03-09-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
there arn't too many of us L33's ... if you click my sig pic and look at page 2 it will show you the graphs (made on the same dyno, with the same tuner) with different pully swaps. The 3.2" pulley made great power and the 3" was insane
Thanks trever1t,

WoW, I was wondering if the L33 would take over after 2005. Did GM stop using it or are there not that many reported users here?

I must say I get a bit dyslexic on your info. Lots of stuff to cover there. You have been a very busy guy. All in fun I hope. I do see you are cammed up and torque converter modded so I cannot comprehend or compare in reference to mine in pulley to HP.

What do you think of my numbers as is? I added my last dyno run results below and would like your comments. They are with the 3.5 pulley. I think the numbers are pretty good being a stock truck with only a Corsa and vette servo. I think the two dates are because I fiddled with something, not sure maybe the CAI. He always prints the previous runs with the current.

So like SuperchargedSS says, I cannot wait to pick her up Wednesday and see if she runs out OK and then order a pulley.

There is a dyno tune shop here @ $90.00 an hour. Do you think I need to go through all that to bump down a 10th or two? And the pulleys are $85.00 a pop.

I just want to get what the new transmission deserves without going onto the ragged edge of it's capabilities.

What do you guys think. Superchargeronline.com has 3.4 and 3.3 pulleys. What is the ball park HP per pound of boost ratio?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like you've done pretty well on the stock Mag set-up. When they do the trans, make sure they do the servo upgrade. Either the Corvette, or billet servos. Where you're at now, I would look at contacting one of the better known tuners on this site, and getting a tune to support your trans upgrads, and the pulley upgrade. Blackbear (DC Justin), Wheatley, or Nelson are supporting sponsors on this site. You truck's going to be down for a short time, so you could send them your PCM, and have it done while it's down.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Steve had a 112 on a L33 in his truck. Long tubes CAI, Ls6 cam and a TB converter. Dual 3" with x-pipe. With a 3" pulley he made about 10psi and 435rwhp give or take. It would get pretty heat soaked after a few races at the dunes though, IAT's would get in the 180-200 range.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never saw heat like that with my intercooled 112 but maybe the oversized heat exchanger is doing something to help with that. I would see temps in the 150* or less in moderate mid-70's weather. With 10lbs I saw over 500rwhp as you can see in the graphs and ran 11.67 pulling 5200lbs.
Your numbers seem normal for the stock setup and I agree with wkdivr see one of those guys about a tune, you might be able to get away with a slightly smaller pulley without retuning but i wouldn't suggest it. I would recommend dropping to a 3.3 or even 3.2" pulley with some solid tuning but if you really don't want to start screwing with a new transmission just leave it alone
Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Right we are talking mid summer heat (85 degrees) and back to back runs. He could only do about 3 then power fell hard as timing was being pulled via IAT correction. I imagine it would have been better with a bigger heat exchanger.

We have a rather large heat exchanger on Tim's buggy that gets good air from the scoop. He still gets in the 160-170 range out here when he is running it hard. That is with a cammed 5.3l and a 122 with a 3" pulley. 90mm TB right on the back of the blower no j-tube.

I agree much more then 400rwhp and the trans troubles could appear. A good shift kit will help it live for a while though.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.
Boy! Those tune prices are too tough on me right now. I'll not need the added feature of the future updates as once I set it I'll not tamper again.
I have worked with Allen Nelson before on a non-forced induction truck. Good guy. Just too rich for my blood right now.

@ trever1t, Just leave it alone sounds good but I just can't. Heh!
@ wkdivr, The tranny build is with billet servos and sunshell this, teflon that, Kevlar this, B&M this and that and so on. He's doing the 4l65e conversion thing too. He is a good builder.

I went ahead and ordered the 3.4" pulley and I'll do the local HP Tuners Dyno thing @ $90.00 an hour. He clams me to be an easy one hour job.
He says he will do a couple pulls with my current pulley and then with the 3.4 and adjust the necessary items.

I guess with the new tranny all I want a little of whats left on the table with better shifting. A pound of boost to 15 to 20HP will be kind of sweet.

I'll post up the charts in this thread.
And I made my signature more accurate. I had 400HP but that may be a winter time average. Decided to go with whats on paper.

Last edited by therock; 03-09-2009 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Spelling