FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

KB Boost-a-Pump on an intercooler pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question KB Boost-a-Pump on an intercooler pump?

So many of us use the Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump to boost the output of their stock fuel pumps, myself included. Is my logic correct thinking that the same could be achieved using a BAP with the Bosch intercooler pump? It is my understanding that the wires going to the Hobbs switch can be spliced together so that the voltage is boosted all of the time, not just above a certain boost level.

Am I crazy or would this work to increase the flow of the Bosch and lower IATs?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a sweet spot in water flow. Too fast and it doesnt have time to transfer the heat to the water. Too slow and the water has absorbed the heat but isnt moving it out fast enough.

Make sense?

I was running a johnson pump with 3/4" inlet/outlet and 3/4" hose to the IC and HX and tank. It worked well for me on my W/A setup with the turbo.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Not worth your time or effort IMO.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

I have done a good amount of reading on the Lightning and MB forums (the AMG 55 engines have the same MP112 blowers and the same IATs struggles we do), as well as on here and Tech, and many, many go to higher flowing pumps with good results in terms of IAT recovery time and lower IAT's. I have the Magnacharger CTS-V h/e (twice as big dimensionally as the truck kit h/e) providing twice the dwell time and surface area to remove heat. I feel that if your h/e is not large enough, increasing the flow, like you said, will hurt, not help, your ability to cool your intercooler.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Atomic
Not worth your time or effort IMO.
Now that I actually looked at the numbers, KB advertises that it will increase flow by 50% on any electric pump, so it would go from 8 gpm to 12 gpm, not a significant gain. Everywhere I have read, 20+ gpm is ideal.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the way your thinking bud! This is how good ideas come to life!

But like nonnie said the flow has a sweet spot.

You Maggie guys have too small of a intercooler ( so we are clear im talking about the device in your intake manifold) . So Just adding the larger HEX and larger resivior arent going to help as much as you think when your most critcal component is undersized.

Doesnt Trick make a larger intercooler for the maggies?

But again lets not get waylayed by internet talk, The maggie is a kickass blower and run very strong! We are just trying as with all of our setups to make the the best they can be!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Hmm, I have a BAP laying around brand new... Maybe I should try it to find out. Maybe this summer.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

It could work, however I would not spend the money on a boost-a-pump if you are going to wire it to be on constantly. Just get a step up transformer in what ever ratio you want to boost the voltage to. Look up the specs of your pump and see what allowable voltage range it can operate in and choose your ratio based on that. Also be sure to get a transformer that is rated for the current it will see on the primary side (pump rating at 12-14V). However, I think a BAP could work in it's intended operation though, if you have a larger reservoir. In boost you will have the extra flow thru the intercooler to remove as much heat as possible while during normal driving the flow would slow for max heat removal thru the heat exchanger for recovery. The large reservoir would provide the cooler water for the short boosted period so the increased flow thru the hex would not play a large role in iat reduction. I think this setup would work well with a killer chiller setup on the street.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Trick does make a larger ic, but iirc, it runs over a grand. Leaning towards a phenolic spacer and going to see how much it will cost. Have a friend who might be able to cut it for me.

03sierra, please do and post up, even if you just ghetto rig it temporarily for testing purposes.

Big kid, could you point me to where I can find the proper step up transformer? I am not very electronically savvy.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Trick does make a larger ic, but iirc, it runs over a grand.
Yes, it's VERY expensive. Has anybody even done one & posted about the improvements?

I'd be a player at around the $500-600 price range.

Quick Reply: KB Boost-a-Pump on an intercooler pump?