FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

How much timing are you running on pump gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Bump for this thread...lets get the timing/boost/compression discussion going again. OP, ever get this truck back to the tuner to work out that rich problem?

I'm wondering what some of you guys like sureshot and scooter k do to get so much timing into your setups. I just went up to 15psi and even at 9° timing its still showing knock here and there. AFR is mid-10s, meth included.
Haven't had the truck back to the tuner yet... I am planning on doing the rest of the tuning on it myself as of right now. The only thing that's holding me up now is this damn LC1, I've got the flt and yank good and broke in. I had been having some intermittent spark issues but I think I narrowed it down to spark jump, or at least it hasn't given me issues since I moved the wires around. Now I'm contemplating a meth kit simply for the safety of it... it never ends lol
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scooter k
LS2, 10.5 to 1, 93octane, 16psi, meth, and 20degrees
This is what I am hoping for w/my 10.4:1 408. How much meth and when does it come on?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I am running 14psi, 21-22 deg. and 10:1 compression, truck loves it, 20mph roll in 4wd on cool nights gets squirrelly, lol.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, I'm looking at a datalog I did in efiLive, and for the parameter SPARKADV (Spark Advance for Cylinder #1) I'm seeing the Max value of 55 and Min of -1.0...what am I missing here? I thought SPARKADV showed total timing

*EDIT: After thinking about it for a while, and doing some reading 55 degrees of advance is fairly normal for these engines under certain circumstances, and I mistakenly thought the Max value would show timing at WOT, which obviously isn't the case.

Is there an easy way to see what total timing is at WOT from a datalog? Even looking at dashboard B in efiLive where it plots data over time isn't the clearest way to see what the numbers are.

Last edited by Preston129; 09-20-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I can't make heads or tails of that dyno graph..
EDIT:
Ok, I studied a little harder...
That AFR is retarded. It comes in at 11.4 and just nose dives throughout the pull. It should be at 11.4 the whole time. It shows you at 9.4 at the top of your pull. There is probably enough raw fuel in your exhaust to start a fire in your tail pipe, fast and the furious style.
I've also never seen a dyno hp and tq cross at such a low rpm. In fact I thought it was always supposed to be at the 5,250rpm mark.
I don't understand why when you pulled fuel to lean it out you lost power. I'd think as fat as that thing is you'd pick up a ton of power going from low 9's to low 11's AFR.
Get that tranny in and get it back on the dyno for some tweaking. I'd almost be afraid of washing the cylinders with all that fuel. I know you said you haven't gone WOT since the dyno, just sayin...
Every motor in the world crosses hp and torque at 5250 when running on a Dynojet On a mustang, the numbers won't be as big but you can put a real world load on it at least. You can even estimate 1/4 mile time on a full pull through all the gears. Mustang is measured, inertia dyno is calculated. Back to back runs (3 days later) from a dynojet to a mustang and my Cutlass made 70 hp different, no changes.

433/490 on a mustang is no joke, can't wait to hear what it does when you get your trans in and can trust it past part throttle!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 203 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Get your AFR into the mid 11's, and timing to 14-ish. Then work from there.
The problem is I run a lot of meth, so leaning it out like that would be like leaning it out with half a tank of E85. Or do you think I can run more timing running it leaner for some reason...?

Originally Posted by sureshot
What are your IAT's?
IATs are around 115 before meth, and like 85 after meth has done its work.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Im at 25* at wot on a bone stock 4.8 on 7lbs with a intercooler mp 70
Old 09-21-2011, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cfaluck13
Im at 25* at wot on a bone stock 4.8 on 7lbs with a intercooler mp 70
thats a whole lot of timing, what kind of fuel/meth are you running?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'
thats a whole lot of timing, what kind of fuel/meth are you running?
I was thinking the same thing, My actual thought was I hope he has a good ear for detonation....
Old 09-21-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokeshow
The problem is I run a lot of meth, so leaning it out like that would be like leaning it out with half a tank of E85. Or do you think I can run more timing running it leaner for some reason...?

IATs are around 115 before meth, and like 85 after meth has done its work.
Hmmm......I wonder if the amount of timing you're able to run has something to do with the nature of FI being used. What I mean is, with a turbo, you're slammed with all of that boost at once, whereas a procharger you're not. I even remember Blown06 saying that when he was running 14#'s of boost, his sweet spot was 20-21*'s of timing. I never see KR on any logs, and he said he didn't see any either. I don't know if this theory is right, just saying.

Quick Reply: How much timing are you running on pump gas?