FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Help out a dumb newbie with way too many incoherent inquisitions.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help out a dumb newbie with way too many incoherent inquisitions.

First off plans are to have everything installed and ready to tune by Jan 14th, that's the soonest time I can get it to him because how busy he is. Truck is a 2007 silverado ccsb with a 4.8(non flex fuel) leveled with 33s. I want to get a somewhat reliable setup that retains A/C. I have most of the bare essentials already purchased.

-cheapy .96 A/R t4 furbo
-huron turbo log manifold
-injector connection decapped injectors
-CX racing 31x12x3 intercooler and piping
-dirty dingo LS oil feed

Plans to purchase:
-Tial/turbo smart 50mm/60mm wastegate
-turbosmart manual T boost controller(not sure I need this either)
-walbro 450 pump
-driver side manifold and crossover pipe(probably hooker turbo)
-3 bar zl1 map sensor(not sure if this is the right part for me)

now for my questions lol.
1. I know my turbo is way too big. Plan to change that out with a on3 later on. I was told with larger turbos you need more wastegate to control it. I want to keep it under 5psi for now so I figured 50mm or 60mm would be good. My manifold has a 44mm flange already installed, could I just do a tial 44mm wastegate and not have to worry about boost creep? And is there a cheaper option? Cuz damn bruh 500-750 for a little valve sounds like some oilfield pricing.
2. I have horrible patience(which is funny with how many NFA items I have). Once I get my parts I'm missing, in theory, couldn't I just do the install and set the boost to 5psi via wastegate? Am I correct in thinking that I dont need tuned for the bigger fuel pump but I need tuned for bigger injectors? Can the stock injector handle up to 5psi?
3. I've heard the stock driveshaft commits suicide around 100mph. I imagine that means it wouldn't like hard launches either. What do I need to look for to replace it? And I assume I need a 80e and some sort of torque converter with a different stall? I'll be real with you chief, I dont understand anything about that.
4. This is a learning experience for me. Its paid off and I have 3 other vehicles lol. Is there anything I'm missing or I should know about? I'm going into this blind with only YouTube and forum posts about models that aren't specific to my year and engine size. I dont expect many responses, but if you do that's not roasting me, I'd appreciate it.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Yes, you must tune the computer for the larger injectors, 3 bar MAP sensor and overall it must be calibrated to support boost. There is no way around that.

That specific 3 bar MAP sensor works, just the pins on the harness have to be switched around but that's no big deal.

Correct, going above 100mph may cause the driveshaft to explode and break stuff. Most get a built 3in or 3.5in steel driveshaft made. Some even do a 5in aluminum driveshaft that is made to handle power and high speeds.

Your 4L60e may last a little bit but if you thrash it, die quickly it will. A 4L80e is a great idea if you want the trasnsmission to last a long time. A stall converter is not a must if you still have the stock camshaft.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Yes, you must tune the computer for the larger injectors, 3 bar MAP sensor and overall it must be calibrated to support boost. There is no way around that.

That specific 3 bar MAP sensor works, just the pins on the harness have to be switched around but that's no big deal.

Correct, going above 100mph may cause the driveshaft to explode and break stuff. Most get a built 3in or 3.5in steel driveshaft made. Some even do a 5in aluminum driveshaft that is made to handle power and high speeds.

Your 4L60e may last a little bit but if you thrash it, die quickly it will. A 4L80e is a great idea if you want the trasnsmission to last a long time. A stall converter is not a must if you still have the stock camshaft.
I've heard that about the map sensor but couldn't find a how to on the pin placement.

where is everybody finding the driveshafts? 4l80e's are usually a straight over swap with a new connectors or do I need a new transmission computer? TCM?

I just want to be able to boost it on stock tune/fuel until Jan on my tune date. Really dont want to have to trailer it there
Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Anywhere that makes driveshafts. You'll need to look up places local to you or something along those lines.

If you have a NBS 2007 truck there is no TCM for the transmission. You tune the computer to run it. With a NNBS 2007 truck I don't know the exact requirements to run the 4L80e on the newer computers.

You can't run boost on a stock tune, injectors etc etc. If you want it to blow up then go ahead but I highly suggest you don't.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Anywhere that makes driveshafts. You'll need to look up places local to you or something along those lines.

If you have a NBS 2007 truck there is no TCM for the transmission. You tune the computer to run it. With a NNBS 2007 truck I don't know the exact requirements to run the 4L80e on the newer computers.

You can't run boost on a stock tune, injectors etc etc. If you want it to blow up then go ahead but I highly suggest you don't.
point taken. It's a NNBS. So basically tune it myself(that'd be a whole other rabbithole) or just trailer it to the shop and not start it until after the tune. So that just leaves me really with the question about wastegates. 44mm, 50mm, 60mm? And not sure if I should run dual gates or not.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

If you install all of the aforementioned parts the truck most likely won’t run due to the tuning being out of whack. If it does run it will be very poorly and not enough to drive it to the dyno, unless you are a block away.

As far as WG’s go a well placed small gate will work better then a larger gate or two small gates

Case in point, I have a 39mm Precision gate and a 7875 with zero creep
Old 10-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
If you install all of the aforementioned parts the truck most likely won’t run due to the tuning being out of whack. If it does run it will be very poorly and not enough to drive it to the dyno, unless you are a block away.

As far as WG’s go a well placed small gate will work better then a larger gate or two small gates

Case in point, I have a 39mm Precision gate and a 7875 with zero creep
I have the Huron turbo log. So it's on the passenger side right below the turbo. So a tial 44mm would suffice?

I plan to install it and have the wastegate fully open to not allow boost so I can pull it on the trailer, install the injectors there. No boosting on stock parts.

do i need a FPR for my planned setup? Is there anything else I'm not thinking out here? Forgive me guys I'm new and everybody starts somewhere.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Since I only receive help in the tuning side. Can I just run a walbro 450 or do I need the CTSV FSCM? Can HP tuners tune it now?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did I miss where you said what turbo you were running? You said the turbo is to large but never gave us the size of it. T4 is just the exhaust footprint, nothing more.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glockfowtay
point taken. It's a NNBS. So basically tune it myself(that'd be a whole other rabbithole) or just trailer it to the shop and not start it until after the tune. So that just leaves me really with the question about wastegates. 44mm, 50mm, 60mm? And not sure if I should run dual gates or not.
No reason to run dual gates. Usually people run dual gates if they are twin turbo or if they running a true divided single turbo setup. You are doing neither. A 44 or 46mm will work just fine. I believe I have a 46mm and I've had boost as low as 4psi with zero creep.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help out a dumb newbie with way too many incoherent inquisitions.