37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

headers vs log

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default headers vs log

if money wasnt as much of a concern as much as power is. Would you have a badass header setup made or would you still do the manifold/U pipe/ Log setup. Most know im good with Domination chassis. He just finished up a sick 4-2-1 header for a nissan. some boosted SER thingy but the header was real sick. and some of you have seen his other work. heres the setup he did for a 03SSS https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ght=domination

i was thinking doing a nice header setup and still use the typical turbo location by the resesivor. Now for spool time do you think headers work better then mainfold/Upipe/log setup. i dont care really what psi i make. thats all bragging rights. i want mid 10s full weight as in street ready minus tires. anything past that goal is a bonus. so want mid 10s, nice looking engine bay, along with quailty work
so log/Upipe/mainfold
or
header setup
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 PM
single digit dreamer

i think the best posiable set up is stock manifolds with a y pipe to the turbo if you can do that. it is also cheap and very durable. problem is it doesn't always fit.

i would have to see a back to back dyno of a tubulur vs log to belive one set up is significantly better than the other. in my mind i see a real header doing a little better than a log at the very upper hp range and maybe loosing hp at moderate boost levels. something i can say for sure is a large free flowing down pipe will make you more power.

we are running low 10's in the 3200lb fairmont with a camed 5.3 and a very cheesy log manifold. pump gas, only 7.5psi and drag radials. ultimate budget set up and it runs strong. if money was no concern i would use whatever header fit the engine bay the best.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the log will restrict you tell you are making some major power. The tubular stuff can look pretty cool, but the Log setups like mine that Trick makes are a pretty damn clean looking install! I really don't even see myself ever making out the hot pipe setup. I know your going for alot more power than me but im sure it will take whatever you throw at it.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 AM
12 Second Truck Club

has anybody ever thought about a mid length type header but made from cast iron. like our manifolds but with a turbo flange. how hard would it be to make a mold that can make a ton of these over and over. there are a ton of these things for like hondas and such. i even seen a high end twin turbo setup for a corvette that had cast manifolds. they could hold the heat, last forever and if made from the right mold would flow well too. just a thought.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:39 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Cast manifolds cost some serious coin, and would add to the kits price.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most the super fast turbo cars I have seen have Headers, but I think for mild to moderate performance the log is the way to go. Headers can offer more peak HP, but I don't know about the spool up. The manifold/ Log combo should hold in more heat than the header, and may spool faster.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:51 AM
12 Second Truck Club

sorry for thread jacking but, stock 4.8 did you get yours going yet??
Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
sorry for thread jacking but, stock 4.8 did you get yours going yet??
I have the turbo kit, just waiting on the intercooler, and some other ****. Trying to figure out which way to go with the trans. I think Im just going to try servos, & **** kit for now. I don't really wan't to run the 80E until the 6.0l is done. Im still out in Ca. Should be back in co on the 25th. I will bring the truck by as soon as I get it going. Will see if it will turn the tires
Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man when I read the title that said Header VS Log, all I could think of is ren and stimpy.
It's log, it's log. It's big, it's heavy, it's wood. Aw man great times.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had the tubular and I have had the log. They made the same hp numbers at the same boost level, and spool time was the same. The tubular looked really pretty, but were a PITA as far as spark plug changes and they cluttered the engine bay on the passengers side more than the log does. Im sure if you get down to max hp setups the tubular may out perform the log as far as hp. Like parish said the best set up would be the stock manifolds flipped, if they would fit, because they are going to be less likely to crack and are going to hold in more heat which equals better spooling.