FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Has Anyone Successfully Turboed a Truck and Kept the Stock Cats or Any Cats??

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 01:12 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by jclark10
I remember the Squires turbos, I guess they went out of popularity I'm assuming since they were mounted so far they just couldn't make the same boost levels and people wanted more.
I don't remember the whole story but I believe Squires sold the entire company equipment and all with the rights and tooling to another company. They were using Over seas components but still priced Like a US Made and sourced Parts.
To retain the emission's standard you had to use the kit in standard forum. From what I remember, A larger turbo was an upcharge similar to buying a turbo separately. Also required some minor fabrication. Mainly cutting and welding.

With the the pricing and ease of installation Blowers took over that market.

The new company Went Bankrupt at some point a few years later and everything was liquidated at auction. The original owner bought some of it back and began to build the company back up. He then entered into some type of partnership with the Holley Group just before they where purchased by the New investment firm under Driven Performance Brand which is owned by Sentinel Capital Partners.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

I'm 99% sure STS is owned by Holley now. I would be surprised if they still did any direct fit stuff for anything but Vettes anymore.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:51 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by tjmath
I'm 99% sure STS is owned by Holley now. I would be surprised if they still did any direct fit stuff for anything but Vettes anymore.
According to Holley in the video below, its a partnership... Rick Squires still owns and operates his own performance shop which is separate from this venture. I suspect he may retain any patents on the product as well.

The have have 2 universal kits and then one specific kit for the corvette from what I can see online.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 280 Likes on 232 Posts

Makes sense. Good call on his part to keep ownership and do a joint venture with Holley.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I was all set to do a maggie (before TVS came out) and rode in a RC408 with an STS that knocked my socks off at Texas Rear Turbo. So I ordered one and had them do the work. I just liked the idea of removing everything and going back to stock when it came time to trade for a new truck. I was high rolling it then in the AC business pre 2008. Sure was a fun time in my life and the STS was part of that. It was a highway screamer and with the loose converter from a dig too. Still have all that stuff in storage lol. Ahhhh the memories...
Old 08-27-2021, 09:52 PM
makes children cry

Received 399 Likes on 326 Posts

also consider that even many of the high-flow cats start deteriorating & risk blowing out / clogging up once you start flirting with 600hp+
a lot depends on how much air you're shoving through them & how hot they get / stay. that's a main reason why a lot of the big-power builds lose them.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by _zebra
also consider that even many of the high-flow cats start deteriorating & risk blowing out / clogging up once you start flirting with 600hp+
a lot depends on how much air you're shoving through them & how hot they get / stay. that's a main reason why a lot of the big-power builds lose them.
Yeah I've seen it too even with the GESI stuff that's supposed to be able to handle those power levels.

Now what I can't figure out is why does everyone always mount the turbo on the passenger side. It seems to me like there is so much more room on the drivers side, especially if the steering shaft wasn't in the way. I guess it wouldn't be that big of deal if the AC stuff was easily moveable, but then you have to get into bending aluminum lines and recharging AC systems.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,434 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Easier to move AC than steering
Old 08-28-2021, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Easier to move AC than steering
I've never messed with AC, but im wondering if there is anywhere you could rent a evacuator machine so you could put different lines on it for more clearance and then charge it back up yourself?
Old 08-28-2021, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

Lmfao that is exactly what I was thinking

Also bruh it is like $20 to get the freon and recharge it. Not that expensive. But yes you could.

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Successfully Turboed a Truck and Kept the Stock Cats or Any Cats??