FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Finally got my supercharger installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my supercharger installed!!!

I had bought quicksilverado's old side mount Magnacharger and I finally got it on and running Thurs. night. Thank you Dave for your help and thanks Brian for getting the installation instructions faxed to me. Got it running Thursday night and everything looked good so I decided to take it for a spin. I was a little worried because it had a little bit of hesitation at partial throttle but it quickly came out of it after a few miles. Gave it some half throttle runs and it definitely felt quicker than stock. Drove around a little bit and checked everything over a couple of times and everything seemed fine so I decided to give it a little bit more. Found an open stretch and eased right to full throttle. The truck was definitilly picking up mph way faster than stock, especially 50 to 80. Overall I was very happy. Well yesterday morning I take the truck to work. Its only a short drive and I get on it a couple of times and it still felt good. I should also note that it was a lot warmer than the night before. Some guys at work looked the truck over and wanted to here the sc whine. Started it up and reved it a couple of times and left it running because I had to work at a diffl. part of the mill. Its then I noticed the Service Engine soon light. Took it easy on it till lunch were I had a friend with me and it felt no faster than stock and every time the rpms climbed the check engine light would flash. I also noticed a little bit of pinging at higher rpm. Sorry didnt mean to make this a book, but I am a little excited and anxoius. It seems I F-ed up the install a little. The kit was made for a truck with egr. My truck does not have egr. What I did was leave out the new IAT sensor that goes in right at the egr hook up. I am assuming it goes there so it can read the increase in temp that the sc is creating? Anyone have any idea where I can put a new IAT sensor? This seems to be my only problem so far. I guess I have a little more to learn. I dont have any gauges but I am going to order a boost guage and a fuel pressure gauge very soon. What type should I get? Mechanical boost and electric fuel? Are these the two gauges I should get. Thanks for the help guys I really need it.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to an auto parts store and get your codes read. When my SES light flashed it was from cylinder misfires. Get the codes read and get back to us.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

congrats on the install. I'm glad you finally got it on. let us know if you find out what the code is.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yeah I am deffinitely going to get the code read. My neighbor has AutoTap but he dosnt have his comp. in his new garage yet. I will probably download the software to my computer and park the truck really close to a window and hook it up through there. What do you guys think of the AIT sensor? Any ideas on hooking it up?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by COLDZ71
Oh yeah I am deffinitely going to get the code read. My neighbor has AutoTap but he dosnt have his comp. in his new garage yet. I will probably download the software to my computer and park the truck really close to a window and hook it up through there. What do you guys think of the AIT sensor? Any ideas on hooking it up?
If you are really handy, I guess you could trace out the pattern of the AIT sensor fitting and then cut a hole in the intake manifold where trucks with EGR have the EGR hole. But the safest bet would be to just pick up an EGR manifold off ebay, I saw one the other day going for $9.99 + shipping, you might want to check it out. If you can install that supercharger, then installing an intake manifold should be no problem.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could put the iat sensor anywhere in the intake tract after the supercharger.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmc5.3L
If you are really handy, I guess you could trace out the pattern of the AIT sensor fitting and then cut a hole in the intake manifold where trucks with EGR have the EGR hole. But the safest bet would be to just pick up an EGR manifold off ebay, I saw one the other day going for $9.99 + shipping, you might want to check it out. If you can install that supercharger, then installing an intake manifold should be no problem.
I think I may pick one up, even though I may not use it. I might try and drill out the manifold on the truck.

Last edited by COLDZ71; 01-14-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wkdivr
You could put the iat sensor anywhere in the intake tract after the supercharger.
I think putting the one I have now in the location it was intended would be easiest. Does anyone sell iat sensors that would be easier to install than the one I have now? Maybe one that is threaded. That way I could just drill and tap somewhere and spin the new one on.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know the TPI engines like in a 85-91 corvette has one that threads in. Maybe you could go to the parts store and see if it has the same plug. If the plug fits it probably would be compatable. I don't know for sure of course, just a stab in the dark. Maybe someone who knows something will post up.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I know the TPI engines like in a 85-91 corvette has one that threads in. Maybe you could go to the parts store and see if it has the same plug. If the plug fits it probably would be compatable. I don't know for sure of course, just a stab in the dark. Maybe someone who knows something will post up.
I wonder if that would handle the heat the supercharger is going to create? I'll look around and see if I can find one. I think tapping the aluminum intake tract of the supercharger would be better than tapping my manifold. Didn't Magnacharger sell the side mount kit through 2002? I wonder how they set it up not having egr? Anyone have a sidemount kit on a 2002 or newer?

Quick Reply: Finally got my supercharger installed!!!