FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

FI guys w/tranny cooler plumbing ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI guys w/tranny cooler plumbing ??

I just installed a Tru-Cool 40k trans cooler (with thermal bypass valve) and I ran it in series with the radiator-trans. tank cooler. Are you guys eliminating the radiator/trans. tank cooler and just running it through the new cooler by itself?....or is it best to use both in series? I'm just trying to get the optimal cooling benefits and wondering if anyone has tried both setups.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With thermal bypass I would think you could skip the radiator. I'm "not" running the bypass and going through the radiator. That helps warm it up in the winter but also in the summer too. Mine seems to run 160 all the time.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a stock aux trans cooler in place already and just hooked those lines to the 40k. I have read that in the winter when the truck is warming up, it is good to have the fluid running through the radiator as well to warm it up.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

The thermal bypass should help winter morning warm up and now I'm thinking that if I eliminate the radiator/trans. in tank cooler, it may improve engine coolant recovery temps.. Still would like to know if using both trans. coolers in series is better then using the aux. cooler as a stand alone for faster cooling.

Last edited by Doobie; 07-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gona run mine thru the radiator then to an extra cooler. But only because my trans temps were higher than my water temp (160 stat) and figure the cooler water will cool off the fluid some then the cooler will finish the job...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Ebay 30 row trans cooler w/-10AN fittings here. Still having it cycle thru the radiator. Never seen over 180* trans temps on a hot day with two back to back runs.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do you radix guys mount your heat exchanger while also running a trucool?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have my Radix heat exchanger mounted in front of my trans. cooler. This is a tight fit, 1/4" between Radix cooler and trans. cooler. I may try and relocate the Radix cooler to the lower bumper valance, this would require cutting some plastic but I think it is doable. I changed out the plastic grille to a nicer looking metal grille and it gave me some extra room in front.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2010 bumper with cut out on mine and trans cooler mounted behind it with a puller fan. Heat exchanger mounted in front of condensor.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by scooter k
With thermal bypass I would think you could skip the radiator. I'm "not" running the bypass and going through the radiator. That helps warm it up in the winter but also in the summer too. ...
I've read conflicting things on this. Of course, those in TX, say they don't need a bypass. Some live where we have winters.

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I had a stock aux trans cooler in place already and just hooked those lines to the 40k. I have read that in the winter when the truck is warming up, it is good to have the fluid running through the radiator as well to warm it up.
I did the same, replaced stock aux. w/. my 40K, but ran AN lines thruout.

Mike, I can't comment on running both coolers in series is better then using the aux. cooler as a stand alone for faster cooling.

Jeteys5.3, I plan to install my Radix HX right in front of my TruCool. On my yr. Silvy, I have a ton of room. If I don't like how it mounts, I'll just fab brkts.

Quick Reply: FI guys w/tranny cooler plumbing ??