FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Daily turbo build newbie / much help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily turbo build newbie / much help needed

ok fellas. Finally made the step for a non na setup. All help is needed as I acquire parts to complete this mission.
Engine 6.0 lq9
tranny 4l80e stock converter
gears 4.56s but open for recommendations as don't have 35/ anymore
wheels are 285/45/22

newly acquired and stuck with as I bought parts:
on3 turbo 7875 t4 .96 ar
kb racing front mount pipe
kb racing crossover pipe
dual walbaro 255 pumps in bucket
miscellaneous clamps and piping

what I will still need:
passenger stock manifold
custom or purchased down pipe to exhaust
wastegate
intercooler - was thinking water to air to save space and keep clutch fan.
injectors
tune - Alvin at pcm4less

does all of this seems right? And possibly a good daily driver setup? I bought the other parts assuming I can complete the other needed parts for about 1000 into it so hope its not too bad of a start. Any advise will be appreciated. Plan to start the install this week and keep this thread updated.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Skip the water to air intercooler idea on a simple turbo setup. Go with a air to air intercooler like all the kits offer. You install it behind the grill.

You can purchase a intercooler from a vendor here or go with a intercooler from like VS racing for a good price. Buy a cold side piping kit with some coupler to create your cold side. Ebay has tons of options for 3in universal kits if you want to go that route.

I'd suggest buying nice injectors, ones with good data and known reliability. Injector dynamics, fuel injector clinic and deatchwerks (likely wrong spelling) all sell good injectors. Go with a minimum size of 56-60lb/hr, those should be okay for 550-600hp. If you want more power go larger with 72-80lb/hr injectors that will support a little over 750-850 depending on size on pump gas.

For a daily driver and depending on what else you do with the truck, those 4.56's might not be ideal. You will fry tires at lower speeds and you will run out of top speed much quicker. Maybe some 3.90's or 4.10's. would be better suited for the tires you are running.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Skip the water to air intercooler idea on a simple turbo setup. Go with a air to air intercooler like all the kits offer. You install it behind the grill.

You can purchase a intercooler from a vendor here or go with a intercooler from like VS racing for a good price. Buy a cold side piping kit with some coupler to create your cold side. Ebay has tons of options for 3in universal kits if you want to go that route.

I'd suggest buying nice injectors, ones with good data and known reliability. Injector dynamics, fuel injector clinic and deatchwerks (likely wrong spelling) all sell good injectors. Go with a minimum size of 56-60lb/hr, those should be okay for 550-600hp. If you want more power go larger with 72-80lb/hr injectors that will support a little over 750-850 depending on size on pump gas.

For a daily driver and depending on what else you do with the truck, those 4.56's might not be ideal. You will fry tires at lower speeds and you will run out of top speed much quicker. Maybe some 3.90's or 4.10's. would be better suited for the tires you are running.
Thanks for that advice. I will start looking at cold pipe kits. This is what the guy recommended. He also has a intercooler already I may pickup if I can't find a better unit. The injectors I want to shoot for 700- 750 or so hp. I will buy the good ones. I know for sure I want my 3.73 gears back in for top end highway. As far as lines and wastegate he has dual wastegates he can custom fit my setup to. Still unsure of this, but may go with the 1 wastgate. 3.5 inch down pipe to muffler
Old 12-26-2017, 09:18 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

All I can think about is Shane Cooks Turbo Tahoe. Seriously makes me want a turbo.

Is the DD reliability factor based more on the tune than anything else?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Default Reliability

Originally Posted by Tig
All I can think about is Shane Cooks Turbo Tahoe. Seriously makes me want a turbo.

Is the DD reliability factor based more on the tune than anything else?
I just don't want to hurt my stock 6.0 lq9. Don't plan to dig into the motor just yet. What would be a safe level to shoot for? I'm open to hear opinions. I know this motor already has a higher compression. Of course I don't want to limit future growth. 3.73 gears once turbo is up and running Intercooler still undecided on what will work in my 01 tahoe as not much space to fit behind the grill. Clutch fan being removed is another thing. I would like to make it work too..As far as downpipe I need 1 created and merged to exhaust 3" straight through magnafow then stock pipe.Needs blow off and waste gate optionsInjectors larger than 80# possibly adjustable regulator to help tuning. Already have the dual walbaro 255s in bucket to install.Tune is going to be professionally dumped tune by PCMforless, so as far as gauges and that stuff I will eventually add them as to monitor conditions only.What I need to know now:What type of gasket are people using for their turbo to flange?Where should I place my maf sensor?What would be a safe relative reliable goal?What would be this max setup average hp?Turbo and pipes are mounted will post pics, but am at a stop till I order right parts. Post links and all advice is welcomed
Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your goin to have to ditch that clutch fan man, an go with electric fans on a relay. Plus its a drag on the motor. As for the MAF, you can keep and have something welded for it to work or go with SD (speed density). Make sure when you buy your fuel regulator that it's boost refrence. Look into a hot wire kit for your dual fuel pump.( RaceTronix) can help with that. DONT FORGET TO GET COLDER PLUGS. I didn't see you mention that anywhere so just incase lol IMO I would buy a boost and wide Band before you even want to drive that thing around. But that's just me.
Best of luck man
Old 01-06-2018, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bottledls6
Your goin to have to ditch that clutch fan man, an go with electric fans on a relay. Plus its a drag on the motor. As for the MAF, you can keep and have something welded for it to work or go with SD (speed density). Make sure when you buy your fuel regulator that it's boost refrence. Look into a hot wire kit for your dual fuel pump.( RaceTronix) can help with that. DONT FORGET TO GET COLDER PLUGS. I didn't see you mention that anywhere so just incase lol IMO I would buy a boost and wide Band before you even want to drive that thing around. But that's just me.
Best of luck man
That's is some of the advice i was looking for. Thanks for point right direction. I didn't mention plugs but I know they need to be colder. Just need to research a good part number. I can definitely get something fabricated for maf. I will give in on the clutch fan as I also have access to a stock setup with wiring and relays. Good tips on fuel config!! I can do all the wiring my self for that so I'll be sure to get good voltage to feed it proper. Yeah I'll get a pod for piece of mind. Fuel, psi, wideband.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Speed density is easier on the P01 or P59 controllers, no need to keep the MAF.

Besides you'd have to swap to a card style MAF anyway as the turbo will outflow the small stock MAF housing very quickly.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFDP
Speed density is easier on the P01 or P59 controllers, no need to keep the MAF.

Besides you'd have to swap to a card style MAF anyway as the turbo will outflow the small stock MAF housing very quickly.
Where would you go about getting that card style? Just like an OEM one off of a LS3?
Old 01-07-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes or something similar or from a 09+ truck.

Then it has to be wired in correctly and tuned correctly. The MAF scale and IAT sensor scale have to be adjusted and because the axis numbers are kinda different between a GEN 3 and GEN 4 OS it's somewhat custom. I'm sure there might be a thread of two on HP Tuners forums about the swap.

Quick Reply: Daily turbo build newbie / much help needed