FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

cutting boost problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting boost problems.

Alright im in need of some advice or knowledge from someone who might have had a similar prob. basically what is happening is im loosing timing. like it almost pulls timing to save everything my tuner worked on it friday and this problem kept occurring and everything in the logs were just hunky dory. i changed spark plug wires, and tried the square coil packs instead of the round ones i had. no fix. the spark plugs are gapped to the stock gap out of the box. (ngk br7ef's) so if anyone has any insight on what my problem may be or have had some sort of related issue please give me some knowledge i want my truck to run how it should!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Losing timing? Is it pulling timing, as in you can see it in the logs? Or is it breaking up in boost?

I switched from TR6's to BR7EF's, no other changes, and mine started breaking up it boost, like it was blowing out spark or something. It also drove noticeably worse out of boost in the low TPS/low RPM range. I put the TR6's back in, gapped at 0.028", and all it well.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes let me rephrase that it is pulling timing. but nothing in the logs really says why. the logs are fine. im going to try another set of coils and then if that doesnt work im going to try to re-gap my plugs some and i don't know what else it could be after that.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's actually pulling timing then I highly doubt it's a mechanical issue; changing coils, wires, plugs, or regapping plugs won't help. The tune determines the timing, not those parts.

Try logging all of the spark PIDs to see if one of them is pulling timing. Mine was pulling in boost timing due to burst knock, so I zeroed it out.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well it like pulls it as a safety kind of which makes sense obviously, buti dont remember how much timing were actually running at but my tuner knows the issues with this and we have nothing going on in the tune it has to be mechanical. we did a couple pulls to try and figure it out and everything was fine, i may go through myself and see what exactly is logging and look into it but it all looked good when we both looked at it. my tuner is maxx mitchell so he has done enough of this and seen everything by now thats why we were both kinda lost.

ill look into the problem you brought up also.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will be hard to diagnose this without a log of it doing it. When you guys log all the spark PID's none of them pull timing? But it still isn't commanding the amount of timing you set in the tune? Just trying to understand the prob
Old 09-23-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having a hard time understanding too. Was it fine when he tuned it, and now the timing is less? What is he commanding, and what are you getting? As said before you really need a log with the selected PIDs to see why timing is being pulled. Can he email your tune to post up so we can see it?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i may be confusing myself as i re-read what i wrote. it is not pulling timing anymore once it get there.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by TimDave217
... it is not pulling timing anymore once it get there.
That statement is not confusing at all.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More confused than ever haha

Quick Reply: cutting boost problems.