FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

compound turbo setups

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default compound turbo setups

well im sitting here drinkin a few beers and looking on some diesel forums lol. i was thinking why doesnt anyone ever do a compound turbo setup on our trucks like the diesel guys do? i know a setup like that would require to run alot of boost, and that brings me to another question, can one of these motors be built to hold a massive amount of boost, say 40psi? these are just some half drunken thoughts im having and i would like to hear other ppls opinions on this.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people have tried but its more headache than its worth. These trucks can run plenty fast on simple single or twin setups . we don't need to blow 40 psi to be quicker than a diesel
Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

because the deisel guys can run up to those high pressures they use a smaller turbo to spool faster to get the boost going and spin the larger turbos that take a long time to spool but created high amounts of airflow resulting in higher pressures. Gasoline engines generally will not accept these high boost pressures. And then you have daltons law and the ideal gas law to deal with while your trying to get it setup correctly.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think it would ever be needed on a gas engine in the manor that the diesels use them. i believe there is at least one sled pulling tractor with 3 turbos in line making upwards of 120lbs of boost..
Old 04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI people dont even run twins to get 40psi, most guys going to the MPI twins dont even go to them till well into the 50psi range. There just isnt any reason to. Sounds good in theory but very little gains would be realized for the cost.

I still really want to see someone work out the kinks in a roots supercharger/turbo build. I think that could really be a sweet ride if it could be made to work correctly.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
FYI people dont even run twins to get 40psi, most guys going to the MPI twins dont even go to them till well into the 50psi range. There just isnt any reason to. Sounds good in theory but very little gains would be realized for the cost.

I still really want to see someone work out the kinks in a roots supercharger/turbo build. I think that could really be a sweet ride if it could be made to work correctly.

I got the means to do this.Problem is I dont think the ol 4.8's ready to take 25+ lbs. Of boost.You really think there would be a demand to see this.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KB tried but had problems with boost creep and couldnt keep the boost down once the turbo spooled full. If someone figures it out, I will be doing it for sure
Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know how its just a matter of money.Im not talking theroy it will work.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

How about instead of compounding to build boost, compounding to build horsepower? This is what they did in the last military piston aircraft engines before jets replaced them. The first couple of turbos compressed the intake charge, and the next one or two had gears instead of compressor wheels. They were geared back into the engine, and the last of the exhaust waste heat was turned into motion.
That would take a little money to do, eh?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:12 AM
12 Second Truck Club

My thoughts on getting the roots/turbo to work are this:

A custom intake that will allow an inlet for the turbo underneath the roots blower. Also, there would need to be some type of throttle that opened at a desired rpm or pressure to keep from backfeeding boost into the turbo while it isnt spooled up enough. Then once the turbo is going the roots blower would have to be closed off. I beleive this is the only way to keep from boost creeping because the two do not create boost at the same ramp and rate and if one is less than the other then you have effectively a boost leak which causes creeping.

Quick Reply: compound turbo setups