FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

BOV not working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BOV not working?

So this week i hooked up my BOV and i dont think its working. I have it plumbed into the intake using a hard line, and the source from the intake has good vacuum. Yet when i drive it and get into boost and let off the gas i sill hear compressor surge. The bov only came with 2 bolts that bolt into it, one has a large hole, and one has a small hole. I have the one with the large hole installed.

I just dont know what to do next? Should I try using a bigger line to the manifold?

any ideas? thanks
Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still get compressor surge with by BOV. You can always have someone rev it up in park while you check to see if the BOV opens when they let off the gas. What brand BOV are you running? I can change the spring in my tial depending upon what engine idle vaccum I have, aka the less amount of engine vaccum the less stiffness of the spring.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really do not know what BOV i have, it came with my KB racing turbo kit. It looks like a tial, but it only came with one spring already installed in it... So it is supposed to open just reving it up? i heard that it would only open under load? Does yourse open when you rev it up in park?
Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
formerly Stroked-DSM (11/24/2010)

who can spool their turbo standing still? lol. I can do that on the anti-lag, but then again I don't have 8 cylinders to feed my turbo.

IIRC a BOV will only blow off when you are out of vacuum.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Good point.

You need a load to spool the turbo/ build boost, revving in park wont do it. Never did for me anyway.

Call the manufacturer of the BOV and see if they can help.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Are you connnected to the top port, where the barb fitting is mounted in the pic? What port are you connected to on the wastegate?
Attached Thumbnails BOV not working?-dsc01754.jpg  
Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Are you connnected to the top port, where the barb fitting is mounted in the pic? What port are you connected to on the wastegate?
Yes I am connected on the top port, my BOV actually looks exactley like yourse. What kind is yourse? Did you mean what port am i connected to on the intake manifold? If so I actually just took the vacuum line off that goes to the fuel pressure regulator, just to make sure it works before i drill into my intake. There is plenty of vacuum coming of of that at idle.

Is there a certain size line i should use? mine is pretty small right now, what size are you running?
Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't help you with the BOV but you don't need to drill the intake for a vacuum source.There is a small tab to break off on the passenger side of the intake for a vacuum source.I run my boost gauge,meth and bypass all off of that location.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
I can't help you with the BOV but you don't need to drill the intake for a vacuum source.There is a small tab to break off on the passenger side of the intake for a vacuum source.I run my boost gauge,meth and bypass all off of that location.
Its funny you mention that, I did break that off and try to use tht but I thought that was the reason that my BOV was not working because it is a very weak source, we at least on my Tahoe it feels like theres barley any vacuum there at all. But if your running all that stuff from that one location it must be good enough. Did yours have a lot of vacuum there when you broke that tab off?

Thanks for the help guys BTW
Old 05-13-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never actually felt it but my gauge reads 16-17 psi of vacuum at idle from that port.

Quick Reply: BOV not working?