FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Any Turbo Trucks in the Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

My Reason for the open dump is so I have to turbo sound even when I'm not under load.
And when I'm wot it should sound nasty
Am I correct?

I guess it will come down to customer service and overall price
Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wg isn't open until just under max boost wether its the wg spring or boost controller setting. Usually mine is a little more than half throttle before it opens.

You need a cutout or loud exhaust, because I don't hear my turbo spooling until higher in the rpms. Even with my cutout open I don't hear the turbo that much more.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can hear plenty of turbo spool even with queit exhaust and before the wastegate opens, ill be running mine back into the exhaust at some point, its a loud rush of air, not the whistle your looking for
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

My 44mm is dumped **** gets real when that thing opens. I hardly ever get on it hard enough for it to open, but it definitely turns heads when I do. If the gate opened up very regularly during daily driving I definitely wouldn't have it that way. I doubt your going to be able to get the turbo sound of an STS on a front mount. With the exhaust traveling that far back, its much quieter and with the short tail pipe, you can hear the turbine well. Your not going to hear that through your mufflers with a front mount, and a cutout would be too loud for anything other than the track IMO. It definitely won't be like an STS.

Last edited by 02'Z71ONDUBZ'; 05-02-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Choda
I live in Buffalo and DD my truck. I need to make sure if I go turbo its not going to get messed up driving in 5 months of snow/salt. Figure the only way for this is with a high front mount/under hood kit. This would keep the kit outta the elements more than a low or rear mount kit. I def want a FMIC and not one thats horizontal / under the frame ( where the skid plates are ). Im looking for something low boost for my stock truck. Just something to set it apart from the average CAI and Cat back truck. One thing for sure is I want the Turbo, Wastegate, and BOV stupid loud like a STS kit. What options should I be looking at with a basic kit?

- 2009 5.3 4x4 bolt on kit
- under the hood
- fmic
- low boost friendly

Seems like Trick is the way to go, but again wanting it loud what upgrades should I be looking at?

Input / Ideas / Tips?

ps- truck makes just under 300 wheel now with a tune, 40 series and CAI. its not bad but I come from a racing family and need to have a little more =]
SS on the hot pipes is the only way to go if you are in an area where they use salt on the roads.
LOUD?
A gate venting to atmosphere will sound like open exhaust. We can build your kit venting to either place, atmosphere or back into the down pipe.
The front mount IC is the way to go with your truck. Lots of room in the front grill area. Going with a 3" core will allow you to keep your stock tranny cooler just need to move in in front of the intercooler using those cooler zip ties to help hold it in place.

I would do our Stage 3 kit as min. and a Stage 4 if you want to go with a BB turbo. Both are 76mm,

I would recommend getting the turbo blanket, and we have header wrap here. Really keeps things cooler under the hood.

links
Stage 3
Stage 4.

2010 install

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Rick
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry I'm late to the party, Been out of town the last few days. Looks like every things been covered here pretty well. I'll respond to your PM in a few. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Trick Rick - why do you recommend using the 76mm comapred to your smaller kits?
I agree SS is the only way and my wants for the loud dump is only going to be at WOT? when cruising around it will be quiet. but when i run it up to say 4, 5, 6 grand its gonna dump right?

KB Racing - am looking fwd to hearing back from you.

I emailed you both earlier today also. Im stuck between a rock and a hard spot here, you two. lol Half the forum say "I have Trick and its great - 5 outta 5" and the other half "I have KB and its great - 5 outta 5". You guys are making this painfully hard. seriously.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I recommend the 76 for room to grow.
Works well on 5.3 and does not need to be swapped out if you go with a larger engine later in life.
If budget is not there then the 70 will work.

We use stainless steel with all our kits.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

this is great for me to hear since im from rochester ny and if i were to ever get the funds id have the same dilemma. i love that white powdercoat on the cold pipes looks great.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 14psisupra
pretty sure a few guys in Alaska are running turbo setups
Noooo, nothing but boring stock trucks up here.

Quick Reply: Any Turbo Trucks in the Snow?