FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Any Supercharged Tuning Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck has never run better. Though it's not a newer body style, the engine is pretty much the same as yours. In fact, the blower kit is for the newer engines. The Maggie has made all the difference towing-wise. Where I used to stay in 3rd so I could avoid constant downshifts, I now stay in OD all the time and it rarely downshifts... it doesn't need to. It's a little worse on fuel but I'm so addicted to the blower whine that I'm always punching it! Mileage doesn't bother me any as my work pays for all of my gas. It starts as good and runs ultra-smooth all the time except that it has a tiny bit of acceleration hesitation when it's really cold out and the engine hasn't warmed up any.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kewl guys! Thanks for the feedback. Maybe a few more will drop a note.
Interesting comment about the injectors, xx ED xx. I've heard something to that effect before.
It sounds like the canned tune supplied by the manufacturer is close, but leaves a lot to be desired.
Swift700, you experienced what I did. On long hills the transmission downshifts and the engine stays at 5,500 RPM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some might not agree, but I don’t feel the Magnacharger tune leaves a lot on the table for what it was set up for. They tune a vehicle to still be emissions compliant at fairly low boost levels, which is usually somewhere around 5lbs and operate with as close to stock drivability as possible. Not a bad thing, it’s just when we go to swapping pulleys, adding camshafts, torque converters and so on, that the Magnacharger tune is no longer adequate. Left as is with low boost, you will not see many failures out of Magnacharger’s set-up. Of course I wouldn’t have added a supercharger at all if I didn’t plan on getting all I could out of it. To this day, I’m as a lot are, still trying to get more out of it.

I also agree that I don’t find my truck having to downshift near so often going through hill country or even when flying over a bridge. It just stays in fourth and boogies on.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tuner tweaked the Magnacharger tune for the other mods I've done (including smaller pulley) and so far it works great. I know he richened it up a fair bit but I can live with that.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 01 2500HD with a Magnuson MP112HH with the maggie tune.. I got it for helping when towing.. It is an LQ4 all stock with magnaflow muffler dual 3 in and Single 3.5 out. I have been running it for 2 years. I have kept the tune in for the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Once that has expired, I will probably let Wester's give it a crack at tuning it as he did it for me prior to the supercharger with good results. When pulling my 8,000 lb trailer if I hit the bottom at 3k rpm (67 mph) I am going over the top at 3k (67 mph). But if I am doing slower say 60 or 55, it won't hold it on the steeper Cascade Mountains. So I am looking for a towing cam when it is time to freshen the motor..