FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

All the cold water you want for an A/W set up.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am not sure how the ford set up works but i have an idea. seems to me like the intake air going thru the intercooler is going to heat up your water even when it is just idleing or putting down the highway. it seems like it will limit how cool the fluid can get.

not sure how hard this would be but it seems like having a storage tank with the cold part of the ac inside the tank cooling the fluid all the time but not flowing the fluid thru anything most of the time would be a good way to do it.

then when you mash the gas have a high volume pump toss that really cold fluid into the intercooler all at once. might be better to have the pump actualy running all the time to circulate the fluid around the ac coil and up to near the intercooler but have a bypass valve near the intercooler that does a quick switch when you mash the gas. go from bypass to flow thru quick like. hmmm.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i am not sure how the ford set up works but i have an idea. seems to me like the intake air going thru the intercooler is going to heat up your water even when it is just idleing or putting down the highway. it seems like it will limit how cool the fluid can get.

not sure how hard this would be but it seems like having a storage tank with the cold part of the ac inside the tank cooling the fluid all the time but not flowing the fluid thru anything most of the time would be a good way to do it.

then when you mash the gas have a high volume pump toss that really cold fluid into the intercooler all at once. might be better to have the pump actualy running all the time to circulate the fluid around the ac coil and up to near the intercooler but have a bypass valve near the intercooler that does a quick switch when you mash the gas. go from bypass to flow thru quick like. hmmm.
I know that on some fords, they use a valve that cuts off the water going into the heater when you have the heater turned off. This vlave is controlled by vaccum, you might be able to use somethng like it.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

With no water flowing through the IC it will gain heat quick and stay hot. The Cold always flowing over time the intire systems water will be close to the same temp. And we you get into BOOST hard you have a huge amount of reserve cold water through the hole system.

. Was looking at the lay out. The only time I should need a heat exchanger in the front is : if the water coming out of the IC is warmer then outside air. Other wise the heat exchanger is drawing in heat from the outside. Parish gave me the idea to look at the system a litte different, thank you Jim..
This layout is not what I would call prime just yet, but a true bolt in this fits the bill, oh yea it does that. Install time with recharging, less then an hour. Results so far are nice I think. Its not like a smoking gun or anything but to bring a/w intercoolers into the street seen and have reliability is a plus.

. Winter is really the wrong time to test this in full form, ac units do not work properly in cold weather and in fact should not be needed in cold weather. lol
Pricing well so far have not looked at that much, but it should come in under 600.00 for the complete kit, you just supply the recharge. And if your shop is close they should evac your system, and recharge your system with charging for the full amount freon. I am planning on building a few more and send around the country for some more testing. I would love to sell these today, but I can not sale something that is not fully tested. I need to find someone with a supercharger near me to compare heat transfer of those type of intercoolers.

More to come soon. Hope to get Hp log files to show the air temps acting while driving and dyno'ing.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM
single digit dreamer

it seems like the intercooler wouldn't get very hot with cool intake air flowing thru it. sure it would get hot in an instant once you get into boost but that is when the cold fluid would be flowing. under normal cruise and idle it shouldn't get much over ambiant as long as the airfilter is geting fresh air.

might be a neat test to see how cold the fluid gets in the tank with the intercooler bypassed vs letting it flow thru there all the time.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Truck Sponsor

Yea I thought that to, until the fuse blew on the pump the other day. I notice the air temps where a little higher then normal, thought I needed to drive it more. Now this was a NO ac driving section. lol The temp went up, into the 80's then a little higher and higher. ACting total different then any other day. Pop the hood yep blew fuse.
What I think was happening since there was NO water flowing the intercooler was absorbing heat from the engine bay. My intercooler is not in the most perfect place as far as thermals goes but it fits.

Jim thats a good idea, then I should be able to tell the outlet water temps, seeing how it will just be looping on itself.

Hope to have the insulating stuff tommorrow. Got a huge other project that is call for some attention.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

ill be a tester for ya.. haha i got a thrown together A/W IC right now with a lil Transmission cooler and it works great for what it is. The IATs usally 10* above ambient just crusing and get up to 20* above ambient when im driving it hard and not in boost..
When i do a long pull they get on up there 35-40* above ambient. and drop some what decently. I couldnt imagine what they would do with your setup on there.

Horizonal cooler is for my trans
vertical cooler is my heat exchanger

You could have a very simple kit if the airfilter didnt go to the factory location.

I wanted to try a radiator out of a Civic since its pretty compact and should hold a good bit of water.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

any more updates on this?
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM
12 Second Truck Club

hhmm
Old 11-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Truck Sponsor

System works great, the returning water temps are 60' degrees. So I would think the water going to the IC is colder then that.
Things that will help, insulating the chiller tank, intercooler and the cold piping from the engine heat. My IC has hot air blowing on it all the time.
Pricing on chiller tank and the other AC line needed is..
600.00. Tank uses 1 factor hose connection and 1 oring hose barb connection. Simply evap your system make acouple of connections, and recharge the system.
Tanks and cores will be pressure tested for leaks before shipping. You will need to have someone that is certified do the ac evap and recharge. Some hose tweeking maybe required on your application.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

glad to see this is in production. adding it my winter parts list.

got any pictures of the tank out of the truck, and the a/c core for the tank?

Quick Reply: All the cold water you want for an A/W set up.