FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

[B]Radix Misfire Help![/B]

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has been an idea of mine(intake gaskets leaking) due to it being temperature sensative. I re-torqued the intake and the driver's side was fine, but the passenger's side was all loose. That was a couple of weeks ago. They probably took 90*- 180* of rotation before they torqued.
For example...When I cranked it this morning, it was missing and reading lean (not even registering) on the A/F meter. 2 mins. down the road everything was ok. When I cranked it on the way home, everything was fine... 20 miles down the road I stoped at the store. When I cranked it then, it was registering lean and stayed that way for the next 10 miles till i shut it off. No matter what the throttle position, it is constantly more lean when this happens.
When I got home i pulled all the plugs and they all looked the same...normal white lean look like all fuel inj motors have and they all had the same brick red color on the porcelin which covered about 90 deg. of it.

Damnit! I think I'll just have a and maybe it will all be better in the morning.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by white lightning SS
sounds like your intake gaskets are leaking at the bottom of the radix.
these gaskets are garbage. i replace a set a week on regular trucks at work.
same symptoms and no added pressure. make sure they are the updated green rubber in black plastic. check torque again also.
Mine are not the green rubber. I know that for sure.
You say updated tough. I bought this kit a month ago. How soon could they have been updated?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey mj you get my pm?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:04 PM
Launching!

they are not thick enough or torqued enough. i see the orange rubber sucked
in and causing a misfire and or lean codes set ony cold. maybe you got lucky.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:07 PM
Launching!

for mj. gm has redesigned the gasket. it is a tsb for the green redesigned gasket. the only way i can get it is off the tsb. later i found out the green gasket comes on z-motor 5.3 and will replace all the orange when they run out of stock. thats how they work.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:30 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by white lightning SS
they are not thick enough or torqued enough. i see the orange rubber sucked
in and causing a misfire and or lean codes set ony cold. maybe you got lucky.

Did not get lucky, I just know what I am talking about.

The most common mistake made is over tourque of the bolts....and nicking the gasket as you set the manifold on the heads.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhoward
Mine are not the green rubber. I know that for sure.
You say updated tough. I bought this kit a month ago. How soon could they have been updated?

If you bought the kit a month ago you have the new style gaskets. I would suggest removing the manifold and making sure you did not split one of the gaskets when the manifold was set on the heads. Remember to use plenty of lube on the gaskets and TQ the intake bolts to 89 in lbs.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all of your input.

I cook booked the instructions on the install. I did so bad that I could have done it an hour faster if I didn't even have them. I just didn't want to mis anything. There were a few little problems that weren't covered, but I worked through them (blower to alternator bracket, and coolant crossover interferance with the intake that caused a leak). I am going to swap the o2 sensors tomorrow to try to rule one of them out(the A/F is coming off the driver's side). If that doesn't solve it I will pull the intake to take a look at the gaskets.
What is so agrivating is that it will miss at idle cold (usually) and then when it warms up the miss is gone and the A/F meter will show normal. I shut it off for 3 mins. and crank it and it is reading leaner than normal. Then as I drive it may slowly start to creap back torwards normal but, never completely normal.
Keep in mind the only time it misses is at idle when cold, but not always, just most of the time.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Teching In

white lightning dosnt know what hes talking aboot... nevermind him! Just messin... he knows his ****, there is a T.S.B through general motors about these gaskets... reccomending the swap to the "green-silicone/rubber" style..... Also, stock radix tune with 11.5 is insane, i know the stock program has a lil lea-way as far as timming is concerned... have you checked up on your KR at all? I'm pretty sure the radix is good for 12 psi or so... theres a point where you start lacking efficiency through these blowers.... how much testing have you done with diff amounts of boost etc.??

Good luck with the miss (check the timming as if it were an eco-tech 2.2L eh white lightning???

- also... if it helps, ive seen this issue talked aboot before and having been corrected by properly torque and re-torqueing the radix/intke
Old 08-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well either way his truck gets up and runs he gave me a ride in his truck yesterday and damn that truck runs good. It did what he was tlaking baout as soon as he started it up though.

Quick Reply: [B]Radix Misfire Help![/B]