Eastern VA, MD, DE, WV, PA, ME, VT, MA, CT, NH, NY, NJ, RI

Turboing my Sierra. Issues with passing PA inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turboing my Sierra. Issues with passing PA inspection?

Good evening Gents,
I'm getting ready to turbo my 03 Sierra, and I was wondering what/if there is anything that i need to be worried about in terms of passing inspection in Pennsylvania. It'll obviously be a custom exhaust with a muffler, but I didn't know if i'll need a catalytic converter.
Also, any other input in terms of where the MAN can get me on inspections would be greatly appreciated. Happy BOOSTING
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pa does a visual and obd2 readiness check. Two ways around it. Either drive less than 5k miles a year and you don't have to pass emissions or put on a gutted cat and full exhaust to pass the visual. You should be able to pass the obd2 part if it is tuned right to shut off the codes for the cats. Even with all of that it is still a good idea to get to know somebody that does inspections to make it easier on your self.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply transam. I'm going to be driving it more than 5k a year, and I have a long time mechanic who works on my toys when I'm home so I should be ok.

What about legality in terms of the PCV system? Does all crank case vents have to go to the intake, or is it legal to just vent it to the atmosphere? Thanks again
Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lycominghunter
Thanks for the reply transam. I'm going to be driving it more than 5k a year, and I have a long time mechanic who works on my toys when I'm home so I should be ok.

What about legality in terms of the PCV system? Does all crank case vents have to go to the intake, or is it legal to just vent it to the atmosphere? Thanks again
I'm not sure about the pcv system buy I had mine vented to atmosphere and they never said anything. I'm sure it probably isn't supposed to be but I don't think you will have a problem with that.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious, what does VA inspection consist of..? visual and readiness only also..?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skolman91
Just curious, what does VA inspection consist of..? visual and readiness only also..?
Va has a very strict visual inspection unless you know somebody. We do not have emissions down here yet unless you are in Northern Va.