Eastern VA, MD, DE, WV, PA, ME, VT, MA, CT, NH, NY, NJ, RI

NW NY Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NW NY Area

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at something that might take me to the Rochester area. I literally have a metric *** ton of questions...

What are some nice areas to live? I'd love to have some land (2 acres maybe) and room for a shop I can put a lift in or at least a 3 car garage. I must have fast internet. I'd like to avoid a lot of traffic and will have to drive to towards the S side daily (RIT)

How are the schools?

Cost of living looks much cheaper than what I'm used to here in Orlando (from a little looking on realtor.com)

Gun laws? I know you have to register handguns and that's fine. Can I shoot somewhere? Long rifle ranges?

Vehicle inspections... Clue me in on that -- how strict, can I get away with clearing OBDII in the parking lot, etc.

I'm thinking I'd have to park the truck for the winters, especially now that I've gone 2wd...

What are the winter's like? I've heard its not as cold as living on the eastern edge of L. Ontario (not as much lake effect?). What are summer's like?

Cool place to live?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you drop a trans on your head?!! LOL! Are you nuts?!! Hope you like lots of cold, and snow. Check and see how much snow they got in Oswego,NY! I don't think that's too far from Rochester. Pittsburgh is about as far north as I want to be! Obviously, it's job related, and that's probably good, but you might have a tough time getting used to the seasons from Orlando. But.....ya gotta do what ya gotta do, too!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:00 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

It's gonna be worse on the wife... For me 40* F is tee shirt weather (norwegian). She's cold at 68*...
Old 02-24-2007, 06:33 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Yup, it's a different world upstate NY for sure. Very cold winters......burrgh!

Old 02-25-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

I have a buddy who used to live in the Rochester area for a few years. I'll see if I can get some answers for you.

I can speak for this though, buy yourself a winter beater and park the truck October - April.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
Did you drop a trans on your head?!! LOL! Are you nuts?!! Hope you like lots of cold, and snow. Check and see how much snow they got in Oswego,NY! I don't think that's too far from Rochester. Pittsburgh is about as far north as I want to be! Obviously, it's job related, and that's probably good, but you might have a tough time getting used to the seasons from Orlando. But.....ya gotta do what ya gotta do, too!
Ill second that, cold sucks... I like the area in the Northeast region, however its the cold that is not fun. The last snowfall total I heard from NY was like 130" F$%k that!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I'm not going any farther north than Baltimore, MD...and I hate the cold here! The quality of life in the warmer climates has got to be better. If you can stay where you are...I would. Money isn't everything, and you can't take it with you.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm actually in favor of the northern climate. I have been to Roch. NY several times with my old company I worked for (Johnson & Johnson) and thought it wasn't bad. I am looking for land in the Tug Hill area (about 2hrs+ east of Roch for a cabin to relax in on weekends and such. I hope you are open to snowmobiles!! That is a favorable means of travel in the "lake effect" areas. Its a blast IMO.

My aunt is selling her place in Altmar NY. Its a 3000ft2 cabin with 4 additional 1500ft2 cabins on 25 acres. Large 2000ft2 garage as well. Land borders Salmon River,...$450k. I would buy it in a heart beat but the industry I work in isn't around there.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krambo
I'm actually in favor of the northern climate. I have been to Roch. NY several times with my old company I worked for (Johnson & Johnson) and thought it wasn't bad. I am looking for land in the Tug Hill area (about 2hrs+ east of Roch for a cabin to relax in on weekends and such. I hope you are open to snowmobiles!! That is a favorable means of travel in the "lake effect" areas. Its a blast IMO.

My aunt is selling her place in Altmar NY. Its a 3000ft2 cabin with 4 additional 1500ft2 cabins on 25 acres. Large 2000ft2 garage as well. Land borders Salmon River,...$450k. I would buy it in a heart beat but the industry I work in isn't around there.
I was going to suggest the same thing as krambo. Buy a snowmobile. It is a blast! I have family that live in Rochester and I have a few friends that travel to upstate New York to ride. One of my friends that I graduated with owns a Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha dealership in New York. He can hook you up with a snowmobile or ATV.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live in the buffalo area. I love it.. snowmobile in the winter and 4 wheeling in the summer and drag racing as well.