Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

My post cam results

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suddog
I am running the exact same cam you have with LS6 springs, Stock stall, 3.73 gears. 6300 is not bad. You have better springs then what I have. Try it one time and you will notice a difference. If you dont like it, change it back.

GM was not doing so hot back then...penny pinching on the red paint... LOL
you are still running the stock stall? you need to get one asap imo lol. im loving the one in my sig
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Corey, I normally did run 87; & started using 91 more, almost exclusively @ dyno / track. That was prior to cam. Since cam, IIRC, I haven't used any 87, just 91 & this time 93. Whole reason we changed plugs cause I was pickin up lil knock at dyno.
A 87/93 dual tune is not the same as a pure 93 tune.. The spark table on a dual tune is not the same as a pure 93, but it is not little as a 87 tune... What the computer does is pick up KR over time due to the 87 octane. The computer has spark learning built into it. It stores that learned KR and adjusts the timing lower, that takes time and miles to learn. Likewise it take time and miles to unlearn... I would say it takes a few tanks to learn/unlearn... Running a pure 93 octane tune is best because you can run more timing all the time and you will get better MPG... Plus it is like $2-$4 more a tank, so it is a no brainer to me...
Old 10-02-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

I might would do 6300. It just worries me. This may be wrong, but fear of valves floating I guess. Give me some better details: XR265 high lift, mildly stalled, bolt ons, N2O outlet plate 1XX pills...? Like cam specs, stall, shot size? And what kinda 1/4 do ya run?

Suddog, there's no red line on our tachs for a reason alright; the reason is GM was tryin to cut costs.
4.8 litre comp 212/218 .557/.565 lift 115 lsa. 2600 stall. 125 shot and the typical bolt ons. The problem I have is traction. Don't know what I run in the 1/4 mile. Valve springs are ls6 zippy had recommended them to me awhile back no problems so far, been running this combo for 2 years as a DD and toy.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I might would do 6300. It just worries me. This may be wrong, but fear of valves floating I guess. Give me some better details: XR265 high lift, mildly stalled, bolt ons, N2O outlet plate 1XX pills...? Like cam specs, stall, shot size? And what kinda 1/4 do ya run?

Suddog, there's no red line on our tachs for a reason alright; the reason is GM was tryin to cut costs.
Tom, quit worrying so much and just run the thing like it was meant to run. You've spent the money doing all the proper upgrades.

Now, I really wish you would purchase EFI Live. I would love to see the tune you're currently running.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Tom, quit worrying so much and just run the thing like it was meant to run. You've spent the money doing all the proper upgrades.

Now, I really wish you would purchase EFI Live. I would love to see the tune you're currently running.
This is what I was thinking. You'll be very happy once you install that Maggie, then I'm sure you'll see 12s with traction.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Sounds like your spending lots of money on parts to make your truck faster, but then you wont do this or that(shift points), which makes your truck 1/3 faster than it could be.

I shift my 4.3 higher then 5300.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah i was talking about your shiftpoints, i want to say i was shifting at 6400-6500 rpm, you need to raise it up to get the full potential of the cam.... and my stall was not a circle d it was a stock TB converter
Old 10-02-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
you are still running the stock stall? you need to get one asap imo lol. im loving the one in my sig
I almost had one but someone paid before I could... Being stationed on Guam always a day ahead, but asleep when y'all are awake! Lol
Old 10-03-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dezert1500
Personally I liked my 3.42's. I cut 2.0-2.2 60's with them on a 29" street tire in my 5.3, mild cam and TT3000 verter. I ran 14.3-5 in 3000+ DA with that setup.

I later installed a 6.0 with a slighty bigger cam and ran 13.2-3's with 60's in the 1.95-2.1 range on 29" street tires and 3.42's.

Sounds like you plan to keep this truck as street friendly as possible. I'd keep the 3.42's if you are running nothing larger than a 30" tire around town. Otherwise the 1-2/10's you gain from gears isn't worth the sacrifice in daily driveability, mpg etc. Especially with that blower you will like the 3.42's. People can argue with me all day, but that's my tried and trued opinion.
Matt, what was best 60' before the TT3000? As in just the cam, stock stall, & that 29" tall tire? I'd hoped I'd cut .2 outta mt 60' w/. my stall / trans.

Yes sir, trying to maintain its' manners. If u only gained .1-2 in your case w/. gears, what did your MPG do; CTY or HWY or mix? I know gears are popular upgrade, but I've never heard anyone say a sacrifice in daily driveability w/. gears (beyond a MPG hit). Explain.

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
A 87/93 dual tune is not the same as a pure 93 tune.. The spark table on a dual tune is not the same as a pure 93, but it is not little as a 87 tune... What the computer does is pick up KR over time due to the 87 octane. The computer has spark learning built into it. It stores that learned KR and adjusts the timing lower, that takes time and miles to learn. Likewise it take time and miles to unlearn... I would say it takes a few tanks to learn/unlearn... Running a pure 93 octane tune is best because you can run more timing all the time and you will get better MPG... Plus it is like $2-$4 more a tank, so it is a no brainer to me...
I was wonderin how PCM figured it out. Interesting.

Originally Posted by Chris05
4.8 litre comp 212/218 .557/.565 lift 115 lsa. 2600 stall. 125 shot and the typical bolt ons. The problem I have is traction. Don't know what I run in the 1/4 mile. Valve springs are ls6 zippy had recommended them to me awhile back no problems so far, been running this combo for 2 years as a DD and toy.
Had I not had this cam & springs, & no it's not cause I don't like it, I prolly woulda just ran LS6 springs (cheap to get & they're proven to work up to most cams I'd run) & either an LS6 cam, but most likely, a GT2-3.

A Low Dime, while yes, I've spent $ to make truck faster, it's not a matter of I won't do this or that(shift points). Again, I only had computer shift mine @ 5300 on 1st pass. I'm tryin to see as close as I can what I really gained w/. just cam swap, not changing every parameter. As I said, I had no time to tune shift pts. or tune at all, cause I got there late due to workin later than I expected. Had I gotten there earlier, & more passes under my belt, I woulda tweaked em.
That said on way home from work, I toyed around twice to work on a clean technique, wanting to shift 1-2 @ 5800 or 6000. I left traffic light w/o spin, & then laid into it. I wanted to see what happened w/. the computer at those RPMs, & got to...I hit limiter.

I tried again, & thought, 6K is my target, but hopefully I won't hit limiter. When I saw 5800, I shifted & there was a lil chirp on 1-2. I was quite happy how clean I did it. Those 2 times were just an experiment to see my reaction delay in relation to my shift. Everyone has a delay in the brain (some people less, some more) to when a response occurs. I wasn't goin to be able to tweak various limits til this weekend.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I never tracked it without the TT3000 stall. I'd say stock stock I'd be in the 2.4+ range.

5.3, mild cam, 3.42's, TT3000 29" tire 20-21mpg highway 85mph+
6.0, more cam still mild, 3.90s, SS3600, 17-18mpg highway 80mph

16mpg for 5.3 city
12mpg or less for ss3600 and 6.0 city (heavy foot)

I liked how low my rpms were when cruising with my 3.42's and still could pull hills without coming out of hard lock most of the time. My current 3.90's my rpm are high for my freeway cruising speed. I'd like a 3.73's gear more for a highway friendly truck or larger than a 29" tire on a 3.90. Both setups pulled great down low. For a roots blower app, I'd keep the 3.42's, but that's me.

Quick Reply: My post cam results