vibration/road noise at 70mph 1500 RWD.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration/road noise at 70mph 1500 RWD.

so after month of trying to figure out whats wrong with the trucks noise, i've decided to make my own post and hopefully someone can point me to the right direction before im forced to bring the truck into the shop, And the story goes like this....

I bought a 2005 hemi quad cab with 102,xxx miles (I know super high! but real good deal) back in NOV 2009 ,its got 122,xxx now. it came with the newer style 20" rims with low profile tires(235/45/20) . A few months ago i notice front tires were starting to bald un-evenly and thought it'd be a good time to get bigger tires( since my girlfriend like to hit the curb every time she parks and scraps the rims!). i was going to stall the tire change for a few more months until i notice a slight vibration and "vrrrrrrrmmmm" kinda road noise coming from the front passanger tire(almost like monster tires kinda road noise.) i took a look and found that the inner tire was starting to show threads(no big deal right?). i took the car down and got 4 tires changed back to stock size,sorta(235/60/20). balanced and rotated, but still noise and slight vibration. I than thought maybe the camber or toe was off so i took it to get an alignment. i got the car back and i was told the alignment was good and was told the front passenger tire wear "usually goes balded faster because thats the turning wheel". Can someone confirm that because i think its pretty much BS(atleast from what it looked like since non of my other non-dodge NEVER had this problem.) it makes more scene that the tire wear was ab-normal due to smaller diameter wheel based then what he said anyways.

The problem do go away if i turn the steering RIGHT, it doesnt have to be a SHARP right, as long as its not left or straight. i've read that the driveshaft can be causing this kind of vibration/noise BUT it is not with RPM, the vibration is only at around 70mph (68-73mph), but i can heard the noise and minor vibration anywhere from 40-70. It just gets louder as wheel spins faster. Ive looked under the front-end and tried to inspect the bushing,rods,control arm,stabilizer and they both look the same on both sides, no grease marks,worn bushing both side look identical,so visually the passenger and driver sides look the same. any other way to check those component i just mention besides what i mention??

Now im thinking it may be a wheel bearing but before i go under i would like to know what else i should check.

i know it was kind of long BUT im trying to get as much detail as i can out to you guys to help you understand and that i DID try to do some of my homework before posting!
Edit/Delete Message
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

You can check the ball joints by pulling outward on the tire from the top and from the bottom. If there is excessive movement on the corresponding side then that ball joint is probably bad. Grinding noises are typically wheel hubs as well.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me! Does the noise change tones when u turn a curve? The alignment guy should of checked that for you IMO!

I'd grab a jack, jack it up & grab the top & buttom & see if theirs any play! If no play turn the wheel as fast as you & listen for noise
Sometimes bearing will make noise but won't have any play!
Being that something is eating up ur tires.
You can check ur alignment with a string if you have the same size tires & rims.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me! Does the noise change tones when u turn a curve? The alignment guy should of checked that for you IMO!

I'd grab a jack, jack it up & grab the top & buttom & see if theirs any play! If no play turn the wheel as fast as you & listen for noise
Sometimes bearing will make noise but won't have any play!
Being that something is eating up ur tires.
You can check ur alignment with a string if you have the same size tires & rims.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:35 PM
Teching In

EDIT- i jacked the car up and moved the passenger front wheel up ,down, left, right and it was pretty stiff ,same with the driver side.i did NOTICE a small grinding noise when i was spinning the wheels by hand, sound kinda like a rock is in-between the rotors.

i forgot to mention that the noise DO go away for a second if i hit a dip and the car unload its WEIGHT OFF THE WHEELS. This makes me think it maybe a hub bearing. BUt as i mention, NO PLAY on the wheels.

thanks for the quick reply guys!

mhotrodscooter- does bad bearing sound like rocks grinding in-between brakes? how do i check if the bearings bad with NO PLAY?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's making the grinding noise it the bearing! My buddy owns a alignment shop & he changes Alot of them from grinding noises & the bearings have no play! Just my .02