Dodge Engine & Exhaust Performance All EFI, Hemi, Magnum, 4.7, 5.9

New to Mopar, need assistance

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Mopar, need assistance

Hi Guys, this week I sold my Chevy and got an '07 Ram 1500 quad cab w/ a hemi in it. It's got the bighorn package and its a real good looking truck.
Obviously like anyone else, I'm looking for more power, but I'm also after better mileage. After going thru a bunch of previous threads, I haven't found much out on what really works and what doesn't.
Mostly, I'm after low end torque to help with in-town driving and mileage. I don't mind doing some stuff, but I'm not going for power on the big end of performance, instead I want usable grunt down low. Btw, I don't tow at all, I'm just looking for a little more juice and economy when I drive around town and to/from work.

So here goes. I don't think I'm gonna do headers as I don't know of any that'll fit my Ram 4x4, and be a worthwhile, bang for the buck mod. But I could be wrong.

I'm also thinking of a CAI, but I haven't seen a thread where it's known that a certain unit works. Would I be better off with a modular intake tube along with a dry-flow filter, or stick with stock?

Are there such a thing as underdrive pullies to slow down the accessories on the front of the engine? I had 'em on another truck and they worked very well for both low end and economy.

How about exhaust mods with a cat-back, or maybe even a set of true-dual exhaust?

How about other legitimate suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

ATI underdrive dampener, 4.56 gears that's my recommendation. CAI are useless 99.9% of the time.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Superchips 3865 + Trans Tune
Magnaflow Y Pipe
3 inch Single Exhaust (Magnaflow FTW)
Airaid MIT + drop-in filter
Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dodge4L1fe
Superchips 3865 + Trans Tune
Magnaflow Y Pipe
3 inch Single Exhaust (Magnaflow FTW)
Airaid MIT + drop-in filter
Ok, I been checking into some of this stuff. The Airaid MIT and filter are pretty self explanatory.

I guess the Superchips 3865 has a trans tune capability in it. That's easily found.

For the Magnaflow Y pipe, did you mean an off-road Y for the front?

Lastly, for the Magnaflow FTW, did you mean remove all three muffler-type objects and replace them with 3-inch single in/out Magflow muff?

Btw, how much underdrive does the ATI dampener give? Where can I get one?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by bigbob; 06-26-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigbob
Ok, I been checking into some of this stuff. The Airaid MIT and filter are pretty self explanatory.

I guess the Superchips 3865 has a trans tune capability in it. That's easily found.

For the Magnaflow Y pipe, did you mean an off-road Y for the front?

Lastly, for the Magnaflow FTW, did you mean remove all three muffler-type objects and replace them with 3-inch single in/out Magflow muff?

Btw, how much underdrive does the ATI dampener give? Where can I get one?

Thanks again for the help.
It's a universal Y Pipe (Magnaflow #10778) that you or a shop would weld in. It wouldn't delete the cats unless you chose to delete them.

For the exhaust I would remove all of the resonators and install a Magnaflow 3 inch single in/single out muffler. (FTW = for the win)

Not sure about the dampener...
Old 06-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

It's a universal Y Pipe (Magnaflow #10778) that you or a shop would weld in. It wouldn't delete the cats unless you chose to delete them.

For the exhaust I would remove all of the resonators and install a Magnaflow 3 inch single in/single out muffler. (FTW = for the win)

Not sure about the dampener...
OK, I've got the Superchip 3865 and an MIT on order.
Tomorrow, I'm gonna have an exhaust system put on. It'll be a dual in/out magnaflow that elim's the y on the crossover. Then it runs dual 2-1/2's thru the muff and out the back. All stainless. So except for a drop-in filter and the dampener I should be good to go.(?)
Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Teching In

OK, I've got the Superchip 3865 and an MIT on order.
Tomorrow, I'm gonna have an exhaust system put on. It'll be a dual in/out magnaflow that elim's the y on the crossover. Then it runs dual 2-1/2's thru the muff and out the back. All stainless. So except for a drop-in filter and the dampener I should be good to go.(?)
That will definitely be a good start. If you feel the need for more power, you could always do headers, cam, and heads. I did shorty headers on my hemi and felt a noticeable difference in power and it sounds amazing.

Which DI/DO muffler did you get?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

I did shorty headers on my hemi and felt a noticeable difference in power and it sounds amazing.

Which DI/DO muffler did you get?
The muffler is a Magnaflow. I specified that. I go to get it on today.
What brand of shorties did you use? When I was on the Chevy side of the forum, shorties weren't known to help so everyone did longtubes.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Teching In

The muffler is a Magnaflow. I specified that. I go to get it on today.
What brand of shorties did you use? When I was on the Chevy side of the forum, shorties weren't known to help so everyone did longtubes.
I have JBAs on my durango hemi... I'm looking to buy a 3G Ram soon. I'll probably go with BBK or JBA shorties on it.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I have an 07 big Horn, Hemi of course. I'm running a ported T0body, Long tube Headers, Bullet Cats, full 3in, with a 3in Cherry bomb, 4:56 are a must, SC 3865 tuner, actually its all in my sig...lol. Shorties are useless on these trucks, im assuming its a qc? Long Tubes, all the way....any questions plz pm me

Quick Reply: New to Mopar, need assistance