Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

"annoying question".....done!!! "tha swap"....begins!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "annoying question".....done!!! "tha swap"....begins!!!!

Hey guys, just want to keep y'all updated on "THA SWAP"....

We (me and the students) pulled the old 383ci engine today. Getting the OWT (old work truck) ready for the swap. We also pulled the tank. I'm going to get a 87 sending unit and an 87 tank and install a Walbro 340 in tank pump.

Going to get the cam RE-Ground this week to a GM ASA cam grind...or as close as I can get it. Should sound NASTY....

The 5.3L was ordered and the new to me engine will be here later part of the week or 1st of next. 4L60E was sent off couple days ago to get rebuilt and returning with a Trail Blazer SS Torque Converter...should be around 2000 rpm stall if my research is correct.

Working on buying a set of "USED" set of K&N Series stock car headers from one of my students fathers car ....did y'all know that series uses a LS based engine? I didn't till this week....duh, I feel stupid....

I have an old set of internet purchased LS1 swap engine plates. But I'm looking at the Dirty Dingo Adjustable set, might make life easier.

New PSI BEEHIVE valve spring just showed up...Thanks MATT@ PSI Springs....they are awesome guys over there.

I'll keep y'all posted....Remember that this swap is being done in a High School Autoshop, by teenagers....It should be fun for them...if it doesn't break my billfold first....dang this stuff gets pricey !!!! All in the name of EDUCATION ....something these guys will never forget....and maybe spark an interest in the auto industry.
Attached Thumbnails "annoying question".....done!!!   "tha swap"....begins!!!!-84-c-10-pictures-001.jpg   "annoying question".....done!!!   "tha swap"....begins!!!!-84-c-10-pictures-003.jpg   "annoying question".....done!!!   "tha swap"....begins!!!!-84-c-10-pictures-010.jpg  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Some more pics...

Question??? How could I load up a large pic inside the message box vs these small thumbnail pics??? Anyone with instructions on how to??
Attached Thumbnails "annoying question".....done!!!   "tha swap"....begins!!!!-empty-engine-bay-underneath.jpg   "annoying question".....done!!!   "tha swap"....begins!!!!-img_20120509_132411.jpg   "annoying question".....done!!!   "tha swap"....begins!!!!-psi-beehive.jpg   "annoying question".....done!!!   "tha swap"....begins!!!!-underside-pic.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Teching In

No One has any comments or suggestions???? Strange???
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll respond.

First off, I think this is a sweet project. Secondly, the fact you are helping kids do it and hopefully get them into the hobby is excellent!

As far as the pictures, host them on photobucket.com. Once the image is uploaded, copy the image link (it will look like [img/] vnfudvnajvn[img] or something like that. Copy that link, paste it in here, and the pics will be full size.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Your doin a good thing. I will be watching. I have a 84 wit 5.3 swap. an decided to hold off on the performance aspects until I get the suspension squared away. Floats like a boat on highway. When I was in autobody in school it was mostly horseplay an no learning. An the auto shop nxt door was just mostly doing tuneups. Wish it was more like what ur doing, keep up the work.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to teach them all that Chevrolet is the only way to go, and that the LS engine is God-sent. Great thing you're doing with the students, and an interesting project, also. I'm in for the build. Best of luck!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Your right alot of the other classes do have alot of horseplay...I'm ex-military, I don't play that. Don't get me wrong they are teenagers....they try.

My guys do all kinds of work. we have done several engines. This is our first conversion from carb to EFI.....I totally understand what is going on with EFI but....doing all the swap stuff, like making our own harness and such, concerns me a little. I am putting ALOT of faith in some of these websites I'm reading on making our own stuff.

As far as handling I hear ya....I boxed in the lower control arms and it helped out a bunch....having it lowered and wide tires gives me a false sense of control sometimes....ya know what I mean, thinking its an F1 car at times and realizing I'm in a heavy box....

I've stuff ordered and now just waiting on the brown truck guy to deliver....keep y'all posted...

Thanks for the comments...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Name:  media1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  5.3 KB

one of my favorite pics from my old 68 camaro....also a test pic...

Thanks for the input on the picture input info...works great....
Old 05-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Just ordered the Dirty Dingo LS1 swap adjustable plates from Brent over there @ Dirty Dingo. He is a real nice guy. Looking forward to using his parts...my old plates I had I wasn't to sure about them....at least with them being adjustable I know that I can correct any clearance issue that might arise.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Teching In

I just got the Dirty Dingo adjustable mounts. Gonna start cleaning and painting soon...

Quick Reply: "annoying question".....done!!! "tha swap"....begins!!!!