Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

96 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 upgrade

Greetings all.
I have a 96 Sierre and have chose to upgrade instead of letting it gracefully grow old in the driveway.
This truck has the factory 305 (Vortec) installed and I would like to install a Blueprint 383 (Summit #: MLL-BP3830CT1).
This brings a few questions.
Should / Can I use the factory induction?
If so, will my ECM be compatible with this engine?
Will my auto tranny bolt up? (I have read on the this forum about spacers with different engines, but have no idea what these are or if this will apply to this application).
If the tranny will bolt up, will it hold up?
What is a Corvette servo, can this be installed and how would one benefit from this?
This a REALLY rough truck that has certainly seen its betters days years ago and I would like to have some fun from it before she ends up in the scrap yard.

Thanks for any information.
KC

Last edited by kdcollins; 02-28-2010 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Learning all the time....
Old 03-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Teching In

The spider injectors are small like 19lbs/hr and i think the popits suck there are plenty of upgrades /tips to get them to work (FMU / booster pumps)/ but if you don't have to don't use the stock intake. With as cheep as the corvette servo is, it would well worth it. its the poor mans shift kit. I don't know about any of the fitment, sorry.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The engine you chose will work just fine, but the factory injection will starve it to death. The factory stock poppet-valve injectors are rated a 22lbs/hr and is supposedly good for only 330 fly-wheel horse power and the crate motor you have chosen is 405hp. Wester’s Garage has what they call a Black Widow set that are supposed to flow up to 35lbs/hr and are rated to support over 440 crank horsepower. You could also switch to the marine intake and use pretty much whatever injector you want, or install a Ramjet intake and so on and so on. There are quite a few options out there; you just need to decide on what your budget will allow.

Your current PCM will be able to control everything, but you will definitely need a tune. You could also swap to a 2001/2002 411 PCM and have better control over everything, but you would have to wire in the new plugs.
Your current transmission will bolt up just fine; holding up is another story all together, as the 383 crate motor has the capability of putting out 440 ft lbs, which will put the hurt on a stock 4L60e. You don’t have to worry about any spacers or such with your swap.

Like has already been mentioned, the Vette servo is a good addition to any stock transmission.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM

Interesting information, Thanks!
Although I did go forward with a decision. I do have a budget that I need to follow pretty closely and have been in line so far. I went with the 325 hp / 385 torque 383 ci from Blueprint. This is already setting in the basement. This was the same price as the 420 hp but I was worried about making the 420 hp setup to work with factory injection.
I also ordered a reman tranny that has the Corvette servo and a shift kit and they tell me it will handle 325 hp just fine and warrenty it for 30 months (we'll see how that turns out). The tranny wont ship until March 29. Ordered all new exhaust and is on its way as well.
I contacted a company (wait4me) for flashing the PCM. They made this sound painless and straight forward. Although, I will need to know what my gear ratio is. Is there a way to find this with the RPO on the glove box lid? There are alot of codes there and I have found a "few" websites that offer decoding but I am somewhat uncertain of their accuracey. An example: they list the L31 engine as a 406 ci engine (unless I am reading it all wrong).
Both the engine and tranny run $4900. This keeps the woman happy, and collaterally, keeps the cash flowing.
The challenge will be shaking all of this laziness lose and getting started once all the parts get here.

Again, Thanks for the responses!
KC
Old 03-09-2010, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The factory injection can handle 400 flywheel hp (330 rwhp).