BBQ, FOOD, RECIPES, DRINKS, & PARAPHERNALIA A place to share your favorite recipes, grills, stoves, sporks, and whatever else feeds our need to make our belly feel good.

Home made fries?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when u get a bag of french fries from the freezer they are already fried once from the factory.. when you fry them again you are just getting them crispy
Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now there's an idea. Fry and toss them in the freezer for a while.....I think with the outside being a little frozen it might keep them from burning while they crisp up.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually just run to McDonalds and get their fries.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 PM

Julian what do you do if your 1000 miles away out at sea?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 PM
GFYS and STFU

I eat what the stewards department feeds me. It's dependant on who the steward is but it can be absolutely fabulous or it can be scary disgusting. Right now we have a pretty good steward. Had some Prime Rib tonight, backed potatoe and a fairly fantastic salad.
However the company took off all the deep fryer's on the ship because of safety concerns. It's a blessing and a curse because it's healthier but it also takes away from stuff like fries!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

I was watching that test kitchen show the other day and I think they said they liked the Yukon Gold Potatoes best for fries. Don't ask me about the rest of the recipe because I fell asleep.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM

Thats ORR. I will have to try those along with the reds that were mentioned as well. Tonight we did our weekly fish fry and I totally forgot about getting some different taters. I did have some small russets that I used instead of the jumbo's I have been using. I fried them hotter than normal (just over 400*) till they started to change some. Then they went into the freezer for about 45 minutes while I got the fish fried. I then tossed them back in until they were crispy and browned. They turned out better than the last batches I have made. The only thing I can think of is either these smaller russets have a lower sugar content or the hotter cooking/freezing helped. Vince

Last edited by Vince B; 08-10-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vince B
Thats ORR. I will have to try those along with the reds that were mentioned as well. Tonight we did our weekly fish fry and I totally forgot about getting some different taters. I did have some small russets that I used instead of the jumbo's I have been using. I fried them hotter than normal (just over 400*) till they started to change some. Then they went into the freezer for about 45 minutes while I got the fish fried. I then tossed them back in until they were crispy and browned. They turned out better than the last batches I have made. The only thing I can think of is either these smaller russets have a lower sugar content of the hotter cooking/freezing helped. Vince
found it

"Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 6 medium), scrubbed, dried, sides squared off, and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch by 1/4-inch batons (see note)
6 cups peanut oil
1/4 cup bacon fat , strained (optional) (see note)
Kosher salt

Instructions

1. Combine potatoes, oil, and bacon fat (if using) in large Dutch oven. Cook over high heat until oil has reached rolling boil, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook, without stirring, until potatoes are limp but exteriors are beginning to firm, about 15 minutes.

2. Using tongs, stir potatoes, gently scraping up any that stick, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Using skimmer or slotted spoon, transfer fries to thick paper bag or paper towels. Season with salt and serve immediately.

Technique

Giving Fat the Cold Shoulder

Our easier approach to cooking French fries does not preheat the oil and calls for one prolonged frying instead of the quicker double-dip in hot oil used in the classic method. But does the lengthy exposure to oil lead to a greasier fry?

EXPERIMENT

We prepared two batches of fries using Yukon Gold potatoes, our preferred spud for the cold-start method. We cooked one batch the conventional way, heating 3 quarts of peanut oil to 325 degrees and frying 2½ pounds of potatoes until just beginning to color, removing them, increasing the oil temperature to 350 degrees, then returning the potatoes to the pot to fry until golden brown. Total exposure to oil: less than 10 minutes. The second batch we cooked according to our working method, submerging 2½ pounds of spuds in 6 cups of cold oil and cooking over high heat for about 25 minutes, with the oil temperature never rising above 280 degrees. We then sent samples from each batch to an independent lab to analyze the fat content.

RESULTS

Our cold-start spuds contained about one third less fat than spuds deep-fried twice the conventional way: 13 versus 20 percent.

EXPLANATION

Fries absorb oil two ways. As the potatoes cook, they lose moisture near their surface, which is replaced by oil. Then, as they cool after being removed from the hot grease, oil from their exterior gets pulled in. Because our cold-start method cooks the fries more gently, less moisture is lost (but enough so the fries stay crisp) and less oil is absorbed during frying. Plus, this approach exposes the spuds to just one cool-down, versus the two cooling-off periods of the classic method, so less oil gets absorbed after cooking as well.

COLD OIL
13% FAT

DOUBLE FRY
20% FAT

Technique

Keys to Easier Crisp French Fries

The classic technique for French fries involves four steps: rinsing the cut potatoes, soaking them in ice water, and then deep-frying—twice—in quarts of hot oil. Our method calls for just one round of frying and a lot less oil.

1. LESS OIL Our fries cook in just 6 cups of oil instead of 2 or 3 quarts.

2. COLD START Beginning with room-temperature oil gives fries time to cook through before their exteriors crisp.

3. ONE FRY Potatoes are fried only once, for about 25 minutes, rather than twice.

Technique

Cutting Potatoes for French Fries

1. Square off potato by cutting a 1/4-inch-thick slice from each of its 4 long sides.

2. Cut potato lengthwise into 1/4-inch planks.

3. Stack 3 to 4 planks and cut into 1/4-inch batons. Repeat with remaining planks."

linky Easier French Fries :: America’s Test Kitchen :: Recipes
Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 AM

Excellent post.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Originally Posted by Vince B
Excellent post.