Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Efan questions for the 8.1L

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Billy....I hope i have something like that in my support as well. I got a set off of Ebay yesterday for $199. I need to call nelson and get the harness.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
Thanks Billy....I hope i have something like that in my support as well. I got a set off of Ebay yesterday for $199. I need to call nelson and get the harness.
You can build a harness your self. Its not hard.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, it's not hard to build a harness, but the one from Nelson is perfect IMO, plug and play. Everything fit exactly like it should (not extra wiring flopping around, and nothing too short so you have to try and stretch it to fit), and the deal looks factory when done...I'm happy with mine
Old 04-04-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Efan Test #1 ---- FAIL!! LOL

These '05 Efans are not even close. I thought maybe I could fab something up to make them work correctly but they are just to far off. And the way the whole thing is molded, I would end up just destrying the fans by trying to cut them up and add my own metal to them.

The '05 Efans when measuring inside the open area you have 17.5"h x 34"w. So I assume the radiator must be about the same. On my truck the radiator is 20.5"h x 37.75"w. The inside area of the clutch fan shroud is 20"h x 37.5"w.........considerably larger than the half ton stuff. I want to be able to control what ever fans i have installed with the PCM on/off limits and not a toggle switch so I am going to look around and see who can help me fab something up. The core support is taller in the 2500HD's and does not have the extra holes in the support to bolt anything too like the half tons do.

My next question would be whether or not I can use the fans in this '05 fan setup with a larger radiator like mine? The fans in the '05 setup are dual 16" fans. With my radiator being 4" wider, i could go with dual 18" fans but they would need to be dual speed like these. I guess I should go with the biggest fans possible correct?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Sorry it didn't work out man I'd go with the biggest fans possible, just to be safe. You could probably get away with using the 05 fans, you'd just have some radiator hanging over the sides (and top and bottom), but why take that chance. At best it wouldn't be completely efficient. I guess that you're going to be looking towards something aftermarket?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should take a look at a Denali or Suburban LTZ
They came with e-fans and the 6.0L
Not sure what size tho
Old 04-04-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Oldcrow
You should take a look at a Denali or Suburban LTZ
They came with e-fans and the 6.0L
Not sure what size tho
They use the smaller radiator too.

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Sorry it didn't work out man I'd go with the biggest fans possible, just to be safe. You could probably get away with using the 05 fans, you'd just have some radiator hanging over the sides (and top and bottom), but why take that chance. At best it wouldn't be completely efficient. I guess that you're going to be looking towards something aftermarket?

Ahh it aint no biggie....I thought about just giving it a try, but i remember back a few years ago when I did the DMAX intercooler conversion on this truck and even the DMAX radiator and clutch fan could not keep the 8.1L under 215* even with the 160* T-stat in it. I think I am going to go with a set of Lincoln Mark IIIV Efans. They are 18" in diameter and pull 5000cfm each plus they are dual speed which will allow me to use my PCM to turn them on and off. I will just need to make a shroud to mount them on that I can keep as narrow as possible. Stupid Big Block....
Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

My dual 16"s draw a lot of starting amps, those 18"s might need a second alternator. Try rigging some wire to the fans that you have so that you can turn them on and off by touching them to the battery. With the truck idling, start them and see what happens. Mine almost stall the engine.
Why don't you hillbilly a shroud like I did? Paint it black, no one will see it.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
My dual 16"s draw a lot of starting amps, those 18"s might need a second alternator. Try rigging some wire to the fans that you have so that you can turn them on and off by touching them to the battery. With the truck idling, start them and see what happens. Mine almost stall the engine.
Why don't you hillbilly a shroud like I did? Paint it black, no one will see it.
True.....or I may nee to install a 180a alternator in place of the one I have.

Actually, now that i think about it "oldcrow" who posted a few back mentioned a Denali / Suburban. They actually did make those in a 2500 with an 8.1L motor. I did an Ebay search and found some pictures of one and it definately had Efans on it. Problem Is, I dont know what size radiator they cam with in them, but I have to think they would have the same radiator I have if they came with an 8.1L in them. I may need to make a few calls on Monday to see what the GM parts places have to say.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:17 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by MikeGyver

That looks pretty damn good for a hillbilly job!

Quick Reply: Efan questions for the 8.1L