Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

Dmax tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dmax tuning

How many of you guys are tuning a Dmax with EFI Live?
My buddy got a 01 Dmax 2wd and i am now wanting to learn a little on teh tuning aspect of the oil burners.....

Thanks guys!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here
Old 04-10-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to highjack the thread but I have several questions also. I drove an 07 over the weekend and while the truck felt strong when it came on boost it really fell on its face during shifts. With EFI live can the shifting characteristics be modified to deliver a constant rush of power instead of spooling up and down for each shift?
What type of tuning can be performed with EFI Live on the Duramax engine? I hear a lot of talk about simple tuning really waking these trucks up and am wondering what that really means.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

thats weird that it doesnt keep the boost throughout the shift. ive got a F250 tuned with superchips and im fixin to tune it with HPTuners. It was night and day after the tune. It went from being 0-60 in about 4 hours, to beating mustangs off the line. Youll see a huge increase in power and torque over handhelds and youll get way more features to tune. Ive seen a few Duramax's tuned with efi live and they haul ***. With either program, efi live or HPTuners, you will not be disappointed at all. hope that answers a few of your questions. ohh and once uve tuned your truck, youre truck will soot all over the place. i love that effect.
Jeff.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a LOT you can do with tunning a diesel with Live I've been trying to learn all I can, but its hard when you don't have a test toy, They do a lot of defueling though the shifts to protect the tranny. I know when you think Allison, you think tough tranny. It strong, but these truck are making some HUGE torque. Theres tons of tuning info over on The Diesel Place. Might want to check out the tuning forum there. http://dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=149
Old 04-11-2007, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

KB would you be willing to help me some? Im goin to start with the 20 20 Tow tune from Diesel Place. Bone stock truck with Muffler Delete... Will get some Allison Goodies soon.. But in the mean while. a little help would be nice. I get the truck Monday so i can email you the base tune.
Ill be installing a MSD DashHawk also.. That kindof takes care of any gauges he will be needing.
Thanks guys!!
Old 04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'll do what I can, but I'm still very much a diesel newbe, . I've got a guy over on The DP I go to for diesel tuning help, maybe he can help both of us
Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
KB would you be willing to help me some? Im goin to start with the 20 20 Tow tune from Diesel Place. Bone stock truck with Muffler Delete... Will get some Allison Goodies soon.. But in the mean while. a little help would be nice. I get the truck Monday so i can email you the base tune.
Ill be installing a MSD DashHawk also.. That kindof takes care of any gauges he will be needing.
Thanks guys!!
WHo's truck is this nonnie?
Old 04-12-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Austin Curtis, its a 2001 LLY/allison 5sp CCSB 2wd... I get it monday, im putting a MSD DashHawk in it and tuning it for him.. It should be fun. You off any next week? Im still working 2nd shift so i dont go into work till 3pm.. which sucks!!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Austin Curtis, its a 2001 LLY/allison 5sp CCSB 2wd... I get it monday, im putting a MSD DashHawk in it and tuning it for him.. It should be fun. You off any next week? Im still working 2nd shift so i dont go into work till 3pm.. which sucks!!!!
If its a 2001, it's not a LLY (unless he did a LOT of work to it ). It's a LB7. LLY's and VVT turbos didn't come out till the 2004.5 model year.

Quick Reply: Dmax tuning