Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

6.0 with msd coils any

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
IIRC, the MSD 6A and 6AL work on small and big blocks because they generate multiple sparks per contact of the points, per cylinder, ONLY above 3ooo rpms. Below that, they are of no benefit. The 6AL also had the added bonus of a rev limiter, which, older cars don't have in their non-existent PCM. I am sure that the MSD LS coils do the same thing, hence the price tag, but I don't know whether or not the stockers do that already. If there was more spark generated by the MSD coils, there would be a better burn, which would result the ability to run more timing. Not a single tuner on this board, to my knowledge, says that if you run these coils, he can get another 2* of itming in the upper rpms, which leads me to believe that the stockers do a more than adequate job of burning fuel.

IMO, the better 'waste' of $600 is figuring out which type of plugs get the most efficient burn, gas mileage, and power. That would be a pretty good investment.

BTW, apparently I have a small dick, my coils are black and shitty looking...but then again, I have engine covers, so no one will ever know.
The MSD and other ignition boxes give you a multiple spark below 3000 RPM just to clarify. Damn I a bunch of sets of black coils... does that mean I have a bunch of small dicks?