Notices
8-Lug Truck Performance Duramax, 8.1L, and HD tech | Intakes | Exhaust | Tuning | Suspension | Drivetrain

6.0 with msd coils any

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

But Tyler, these go to 11
Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are crazy.

The stock coils are BEAUTIFUL!!

They look 10x better than an ugly distributor and that mess of wires we use to have to deal with! LOL

They are simple and i love them!

If you guys dont like the coils then buy a Diesel
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very glad i read this thread. was contemplating buying the coils. now ill leave the stockers.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
... And at least they don't stand out like those red ones. ...

Those coils put a picture in my mind of a guy with real hairy shoulders, and he dyes the hair blonde to look younger and hipper.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Default Coils and *****

No ****! I just checked and since the MSD coils my **** grew from 9 inches to 11.....I had no idea....

So who has a dyno and has tested MSD coils vs stock?

Stock coils look like ****, and MSD coils look good.....stock wheels don't normally look great, and custom wheels make your truck look good....

If you don't like them, fine....but how are you hero's the judge of what is wasted money....in that case, any thing that you put on the truck that you think looks good could be considered a waste of money. I don't have 600 dollars worth of chrome accessories, or a 600 dollar chrome alternator, but if I choose to buy them, it is not a waste of money...it is because I like it....how many ******* CAIs are sold everyday that suck in hot air..or MAF sensors that don't do ****....I don't hear such an uproar over those...

I bought the coils with money I earned from my military retirement and money I made in Iraq last year....I can ******* waste it how I want...thanks!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 408Hummer
No ****! I just checked and since the MSD coils my **** grew from 9 inches to 11.....I had no idea....

So who has a dyno and has tested MSD coils vs stock?

Stock coils look like ****, and MSD coils look good.....stock wheels don't normally look great, and custom wheels make your truck look good....

If you don't like them, fine....but how are you hero's the judge of what is wasted money....in that case, any thing that you put on the truck that you think looks good could be considered a waste of money. I don't have 600 dollars worth of chrome accessories, or a 600 dollar chrome alternator, but if I choose to buy them, it is not a waste of money...it is because I like it....how many ******* CAIs are sold everyday that suck in hot air..or MAF sensors that don't do ****....I don't hear such an uproar over those...

I bought the coils with money I earned from my military retirement and money I made in Iraq last year....I can ******* waste it how I want...thanks!
You can do what ever you want with your money were not telling you what to buy, if you want to buy them go ahead. I worked at a performance/dyno shop for several years and I've personally seen them add nothing on the dyno and I've seen 3 fail. I personally think any set of coils mounted on the valve covers look bad all together, I like them relocated, that's just me.

Yes alot of people buy worthless cai, coils, maf sensors, tornadoes, and electric superchargers, but you wont see many people off this site buying them. The guy simply asked if it was worth $600 for coils as hes looking for performance. The answer is NO. Good luck with your coils.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Just some damn stupid comments about **** size and hairy shoulders...wtf is that ****...childish. It is amazing how brave some are behind the keyboard....makes me laugh.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 408Hummer
Just some damn stupid comments about **** size and hairy shoulders...wtf is that ****...childish. It is amazing how brave some are behind the keyboard....makes me laugh.
Yep just shows to how this forum is turning out.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

I do like the look of the msd coils, people spend your money the way it pleases you its your money. I'm sure the comment of it being a waste of money was his opinion and not attempting to **** anyone off, but as he said no real gains to be had with them.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirt track racer 81
stock coils have gone past 1000hp.. dont waste your money.. paint yours red and put msd stickers under your hood...do alot more searching here before you buy any parts for your truck..

I heard stock coils where good for ~650 hp before, your saying 1000!
How was that set up? Where they used strictly as stock or with a voltage boost?
Just asking, not being contraversial. I know with the old systems boxes like MSD's and others where necessary due to not enough energy capacity and build up time as rpm's went up. It's easy to see the advantage of a coil per cylinder too. Are the MSD multispark boxes not needed either in high HP, boosted, or nitrous applications as well?
I know part of the need for multi spark was to keep plugs clean with lumpy cams, and big carbs running fat. Today EFI keeps the whole fuel curve much cleaner then the old days...which I still participate in!

Quick Reply: 6.0 with msd coils any