LOTS of questions for first gen dodge 150's!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LOTS of questions for first gen dodge 150's!

Hey everyone, I have a lot of questions. My little brother and I are just getting into Dodge and have bought some trucks to make into mudders, his is a 90 w150 with a 3.5 lift and new 33's and mine is a 91 that is stock for now. but we are running into some issues.
The 90:
First off his is off and on with the starting, we tried checking the ground and replacing the battery. Nothing, any ideas????
The 91:
Ok this one is my new toy, its all stock with a 318 and a 4 speed thats basically a 3 speed because first is so damn low. I have what I believe is an aftermarket gas tank as it plastic. The only problem is that it leaks on the top when is running and a little after its turned off. not sure where yet but I will find out tomorrow when I drop the tank. I traded my firebird for this truck and my silverado that was my daily driver is being sold saturday so I need to get this done. also, as soon as the silvy is sold I will use the money to fund the build on the other truck. I need new tires asap and my parents wont let me put a lift kit until the tires are on there, so would 32's fit my truck stock?? I ask because if they would I would look for a set of them because they wouldnt look too bad after the lift.

My next question would be does anyone know where I can get a decent lift for around $500? I want something that is about 4 inches as I want to be able to fit 35's, but I really dont want to use blocks.
Thanks for all the help! Sam
Old 05-30-2012, 03:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

explain the starting problems your brother is having a little more to begin with. the old dodges had plastic tanks from the factory so any original tank you find to replace it will work. you shouldn't have any problem clearing 32s unless your springs are worn out bad. i've found that most older trucks will clear 33x12.50's just fine with the correct rims.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Thank you DR132! that is great news as my brother jsut picked up 33x12.5 tires and rims ofr his truck so I will test fit them and let you know if they work! he did some searching for himself and we think its the starter on his truck. Any advice on a lift kit though? I found a Rough Country 4" lift for 370 plus shipping on ebay, but I believe it was rough country lifts that have gotten some mixed reviews so im not sure. The Lift was springs in front and blocks in back which im ok with, but I would much rather have springs all around. any advice would be greatly appriciated!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you don't plan on hauling much just a block in the back would be fine. if it ends up feeling soft you can probably find an add-a-leaf kit to stiffen in up a bit and give you a little more life in the back. the only rough country lift i've dealt with was on a newer jeep grand cherokee and it was a pretty good kit, a lot more to it than an old pickup but everything went together nicely and it drove good too. the only tough part was getting the old stuff off with out breaking anything
Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Cool! Thank you for all of your help! Expect pictures of the truck to be up soon!