Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

VVT Tuning.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Do you have access to any engine simulation software? If you do, plug in a given cam, then advance it 4-8* from striaght up and note the power, then retard it 4-8* and note the power....There will be a decent difference...that is exactly what the VVT system could be used to do. While I don't put a ton of weight in exactly what sim software says, it gives you an idea of what the outcome would actually be.

I am actually very surprised that more vendors haven't done dynos with different VVT tables on their cam, and shown the differences.
That is not what GM is doing.
I understand what you are talking about and 100% agree with that. I worked at 2 high performance machine shops for about 5 years. 4 to 8° is not a 60° swing.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
I understand what you are talking about and 100% agree with that. I worked at 2 high performance machine shops for about 5 years. 4 to 8° is not a 60° swing.
What is your point exactly? I don't really care what GM is doing with their OEM calibration...I only care about what I can do with it. My point is that there are undeniable performance benefits to retaining and tuning the VVT system. If you don't agree, then you dont fully understand engine dynamics. I don't want this to turn into a pissing match, and ruin the thread, as I'd like to see more open discussion on this topic.

There is some very good info in the last few pages (post 125+)of this thread by "J-Rod" and "cam".

VVT Cams - LS1TECH
Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Gingervitis Addict

I agree, If you take 2 motors with the same cam specs, one with VVT (and proper advance/retard tables setup) I don't see how it can't make quite a bit more low end, and a little more top end?
The following users liked this post:
Mark Johnson (05-23-2019)
Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM
9 Second Club

It will at the minimum carry more average power over a longer range.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
From what I can tell, this is exactly what GM is doing...

Moderate advance and retard for powerband tweaking, and big swing to produce a "late intake valve closing" cycle to reduce pumping losses.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

I did some dyno tuning with a stock cam and found changing the table settings to be worthless as performance modification. I'm not saying someone else could find something but I didn't.

I did find that I could run a little larger aftermarket VVT cam and maintain low rpm drive-ability (Speculatively) vs. what I THOUGHT a same sized non VVT cam would idle and drive like. After trying a few VVT cams and opt'ed to remove the VVT and go with a standard cam. My opinion was that the VVT wasn't working well with my Higher spring pressure valve springs which defeated the whole purpose of VVT. As my logs showed that the actual cam angle wasn't following my table values with the larger cams.

Someone may find some magic power available through VVT but currently I don't think its worth hunting for it.

Last edited by MNC5; 12-03-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
So you're retarding the cam an extra degree above 5500? I have yet to mess with the upper end of the VVT table, but have decreased the amount of retard in the midrange by about half, and so far don't have any issues. You should be able to pick up some midrange tq gains by doing this. I also tamed down the corresponding VVT spark tables a bit, due to the now higher cylinder pressure.
spending a grand total of 16 hours on the dyno messing with every configuration myself and another tuner can come up with, this is the final verdict.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MNC5
I did some dyno tuning with a stock cam and found changing the table settings to be worthless as performance modification. I'm not saying someone else could find something but I didn't.

I did find that I could run a little larger aftermarket VVT cam and maintain low rpm drive-ability (Speculatively) vs. what I THOUGHT a same sized non VVT cam would idle and drive like. After trying a few VVT cams and opt'ed to remove the VVT and go with a standard cam. My opinion was that the VVT wasn't working well with my Higher spring pressure valve springs which defeated the whole purpose of VVT. As my logs showed that the actual cam angle wasn't following my table values with the larger cams.

Someone may find some magic power available through VVT but currently I don't think its worth hunting for it.
It's easier to make a smaller cam act like a bigger cam with VVT, than the way you did it. A big cam will always have a lot of overlap, which is what hurts low speed driveabliltiy. You can't change that with this style VVT system.
What springs are you running?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

How might I change the tune without setting off the SES light? Seems any little thing I do it doesn't like it. Help
Thanks
Old 03-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I know this is old but what tables on a hptuner file are to modified if i buy a vvt cam?

I did't pay attention at the beginning since i always delete it on my trucks, but know that the 14's all are vvt i would like to start looking at this tables and see how they work.

Quick Reply: VVT Tuning.....