Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

very little bottom-end after tune ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sub'd for an outcome.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have no doubt allen is a good tuner, just the other tuner is doing it for free so theres no reason for me to not get a second opinion.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

sweet. free is good!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just finished with the other tuner and it turns out nelson locks there computers after they tune them. but the other tuner watched everything on his laptop and from what he can see he believes it is the tune and that the people that did it should fix it. he also said the maf is working fine, so he cant understand why they shut it off.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just so hilarious to see posts like this.
JM, I know YOU don't mean any harm in posting and asking "what's wrong with my truck", I understand you just want it fixed, but to all you other internet experts, how in the hell can you even comment on this when you have no clue on wtf is up with this truck?

You would think some of you would ask, if the truck had vac leaks, bad o2's, bad maf, exhaust leaks, etc.

I have so many tunes under my belt..., from mild to wild, from stock hp to 1500hp, and you guys come up with comments like "get a new tuner", "tuner sux", etc. I'm sure he appreciates the help!

His truck is no different than the other 100's I've tuned.

Just for you know it all's, this truck has an issue. It's definitely slower than it should be, but the tune isn't holding it back!
It has a maf issue and knock sensor issues.
It has some sort of electrical issue or mechanical issue.

I'm completely aware on how to disable the maf and take care of the knock sensors, but there is something else going on.

Timing is way up from where it started and YES the maf is messing with the tune, so if you trust your free tuner, go for it.
Just because a maf is registering airflow doesn't mean it's working correctly.

Have it enabled, and watch the ltrims and drivability go to ****.
Enable the knock sensors and feel your truck loose about 80hp.

This truck has gone from a 2000 pcm to a 2002 pcm, gotten better each time, but with several calibrations and several tunes, it's still lacking.
Tuning isn't magic or that complicated, once you understand it. It's about optimzing a/f ratio and timing, then taking care of drivability.
You guys forget, the pcm isn't a magic wand that can make all the issues go away, it only does what the sensors tell it to.
If the sensors are bad or the pcm is receiving bad info, it's going to react incorrectly.

Originally Posted by stevenc
Random thought - is your cam installed correctly and not retarded-advanced?
That is exactly the direction I was thinking.
Unlike all the other lame replies that only turn this post into ****!

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
wasted time/money spending time with another tuner. allen is a good tuner. if it is possible to fix it in the tune, he would have got it done. especially a live tune.
exactly, like I would have let a truck leave here with a **** tune on purpose. txsilverado isn't even my customer (but i do appreciate the reply) and he knows to look elsewhere.
It may be JM's truck, but it's my name out there and like any other tuner, we don't like it when trucks run bad or not to their full potential.
Once in a while it is the tune, but 99% of the time, it's the truck or the installer!!
If it is a tuner issue, you guys make it sound like we do this on purpose.
I hope he does go to another tuner and get it fixed, I hope it's that easy, because the customer deserves to have a smooth running truck.

JM, you know what to do, just send us an email and request a retune, erica will ship you a stock unlocked pcm and feel free to go at it with another tuner, it won't hurt my feelings.
but please, take note, once you leave we do charge again if you ever decide to come back (which we encounter all the time!). The main reason why we charge again, is because we are not going back and forth with another tuner, playing he said this...

I've said all I'm going to, feel free to flame, it isn't gonna make his truck run any better.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i never said anything bad about you or what your doing. you said you thought it was a weak fuel pump so i started this thread to see if anyone had had a problem like you were suggesting. no one is giving me any ides of whats wrong with it besides the cam being put in wrong.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Performance Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverado2000
no one is giving me any ides of whats wrong with it besides the cam being put in wrong.
and I never said you did, that's why i specifically said I understand why you are posting, that was towards all the other ppl replying with the small comments.

(btw, i'll reply to you, but not the others)
Old 06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still think its the cam...

Side note - New MAF's are pretty inexpensive on ebay.

If it was my truck I would do this:

1.) replace the MAF & Knock Sensors. I am obsessive so I would probably replace the front o2 sensors also.

2.) grab a fuel pressure gauge and check it.. I would also check the compression.

3.) get nelson to tune it again.

if that didnt work the next step is to ensure the cam is in correctly.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem many years ago and also blamed the tune. It ended up being a lose rocker causing my poor performance. Gained 1.5 seconds just tightening one bolt. Look inside the engine especially if you have a changed heads or cam.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have already gone threw all the rocker arms, there all tight (thank you though for a new idea besides the tune). is there any way i can look at the rocker arm and the position its in and the crank pulley to find out if my cam has been installed advanced or retarded? and a cam thats has been put in wrong would that cause the knock sensors to freak out?

and stevenc that is the plan right now, my brothers maf off his truck and his coils (just to trouble shot those and figure out if there good cause his truck will still throw a missfire code if any of them are bad), new knock sensors, new o2s, then back to allen for his finishing touch.

and if it turns out the cam has been installed wrong o well the trucks going to allen for a cam and springs install within the next few months.

Last edited by silverado2000; 06-02-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply: very little bottom-end after tune ???