Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Undecided on cam selection for street/tow SUV 5.3LH6

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The email was sent a while ago.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by thebrain
w/ a mild cam I get roughly 50hp not just 5hp
Then why are you here asking for cam advice? If you actually read my post, i said 5 hp/torque at part throttle. Yes, you will get more at WOT, but Nobody is towing a load at WOT everywhere they go...

If towing is the ultimate goal, and you expect 50 more hp/torque at part throttle a cam swap will leave you sorely dissapointed.

WOT will make you grin.but for better towing performance with a gasser, a blower is what you want.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
Then why are you here asking for cam advice? If you actually read my post, i said 5 hp/torque at part throttle. Yes, you will get more at WOT, but Nobody is towing a load at WOT everywhere they go...

If towing is the ultimate goal, and you expect 50 more hp/torque at part throttle a cam swap will leave you sorely dissapointed.

WOT will make you grin.but for better towing performance with a gasser, a blower is what you want.
This... Hard to beat the stock cam for low end. Might be able to grind something with a little later exhaust valve closing and maybe a little earlier intake valve opening depending on pistons, but the gains would be hard to notice. You really don't want longer lobes for part throttle low RPM performance. If you're set on modifying it for towing, I might just mill the heads a little bit and leave valvetrain alone w/ exception of maybe pushrods. Probably be cheaper than a cam swap anyway. Swapping to any of the cams you mentioned will make towing worse.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
This... Hard to beat the stock cam for low end. Might be able to grind something with a little later exhaust valve closing and maybe a little earlier intake valve opening depending on pistons, but the gains would be hard to notice. You really don't want longer lobes for part throttle low RPM performance. If you're set on modifying it for towing, I might just mill the heads a little bit and leave valvetrain alone w/ exception of maybe pushrods. Probably be cheaper than a cam swap anyway. Swapping to any of the cams you mentioned will make towing worse.
I have personally used quite a few cams in my tow rigs (2500hds) and find the "below 220" cams to be perfect. Gets quite a bit more power from off idle to even passing on the hwy....and i tow ALOT and heavy loads also. Both manual trans and auto. Wider lsas hurt quite a bit so i try to stay below 113 lsa and a fairly early icl of 108 to 109 and its fine.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:26 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado

ok this makes better sense maybe I missunderstood you initial post.

I choose this cam 212/218 .600"/.600" Truck Camshaft LSA 114
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4925-t...-camshaft.aspx

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I'm doing a dod delete so a cam swape is mandartory kindof wanted a centrifugal type blower cam that can be currentely be used in the 5.3 then reused in my planned LY6 forged for 10PSI w/ recalled eaton blower.

right now I want a vehical running on all 8 cylinders then evaluate its stockish abilities.

Originally Posted by RPMSpeed Tech
I have personally used quite a few cams in my tow rigs (2500hds) and find the "below 220" cams to be perfect. Gets quite a bit more power from off idle to even passing on the hwy....and i tow ALOT and heavy loads also. Both manual trans and auto. Wider lsas hurt quite a bit so i try to stay below 113 lsa and a fairly early icl of 108 to 109 and its fine.
emailed added new steel spring retainers and keepers also add valve guides these parts delevlope wear and should'nt be reused correct?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 404 Likes on 318 Posts

I think you'd be better off with the stock cam and go FI. The cams your looking at wont be good for future blower applications, the lsa is too low, the stock lsa is 114 which would be smoother than the 112 your looking into and make better power with FI...
Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 AM
Launching!

I choose this cam 212/218 .600"/.600" Truck Camshaft LSA 114
https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4925-t...-camshaft.aspx
Old 09-24-2017, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 404 Likes on 318 Posts

My bad, I missed that somehow...
Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 AM
Launching!

I know where to get the ECM reprogramed DOD/AFM delete unsure of a mail order tune for preformance smallish cam?

I see a mail order tune for $200. is ECM reprogramed DOD/AFM delete usalley included in preformance w/ internal parts?

when reprograming is done to the 2007 model does the transmision control module has to be programed also ? where are either of these modules located. ECM certainley isn't inside engine area.

heres what a 112 sounds like a 114 wont be as rough truck sounds bad *** to me

Last edited by thebrain; 09-24-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:49 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Should re-title the thread to 'I want a blower cam that sounds cool.' Probably get answers more to your liking that way.